checkmate

Syrian opposition groups unite against Assad

DAMASCUS: Syrian opposition groups meeting in Doha agreed in principle on Sunday on a plan to unite against President Bashar al-Assad following marathon talks and pressure from international backers.


The putative deal is based on an initiative that envisages the formation of a transitional government, a military council to oversee rebel groups on the ground and a judiciary to operate in rebel-held areas.

It came as forces loyal to President Assad suffered a fresh blow, with two suicide car bombings tearing through an officers’ club in the southern city of Daraa, cradle of the nearly 20-month uprising.

“We have agreed on the main points of the formation of a Syrian national coalition for the forces of the opposition and the revolution. We will continue our discussions on the details on Sunday,” opposition figure Suhair Atassi said after 12 hours of talks in Doha.

“We were on the point of signing [the accord] but we preferred to give some time to study the internal rules at the request of certain parties,” said fellow delegate Riad Seif, reportedly seen by Washington as a potential new opposition chief.

In Damascus, Syria’s Information Minister Omran al-Zohbi called for a national dialogue and said that the army was fighting to boost the chance for talks.

News of a potential deal among the disparate Syrian opposition groups came with the Syrian National Council (SNC) under increased Arab and Western pressure to accept a unity plan, amid growing frustration among other dissident groups.

Once regarded as the leading opposition representative but increasingly derided in Washington as dominated by out-of-touch exiles, the SNC had already twice asked for a postponement of the talks on plans for a broad-based government-in-waiting.

The plan, which is based on an initiative by Seif, would see a 10-member transitional government elected by a new 60-member umbrella group drawn from civilian activists and rebel fighters inside Syria, as well as by the exiles who have dominated the SNC.

On Saturday, the SNC had put forward its own proposals and its new leader George Sabra told reporters in Doha that “the SNC is older than . . . any other initiative” on the table, adding that no opposition group should be forced under the banner of another.

Saturday’s attacks killed 20 soldiers and possibly many more, said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

“The two bombings were the result of suicide attacks, carried out by two men who drove vehicles loaded with explosives into the garden a few minutes apart,” Observatory director Rami Abdel Rahman said.

State news agency SANA reported that three car bombings killed seven people and wounded many, but did not say they were at a military position.

It also said that a car bomb had wounded nine people in the southern Damascus neighborhood of Daf al-Shawk, while state television said that a rocket wounded two girls in the capital’s Christian district of George Khoury.

Elsewhere, the army retook a stretch of the Damascus-Aleppo highway used to send its reinforcements to main northern battlefields.

More than 37,000 people have died since the uprising against President Assad erupted in March 2011, first as a protest movement and then as an armed rebellion, said the Observatory.

World

Japan, Vietnam vow to cooperate on sea row

Published : Friday January 18, 2013   |  Category : World   |  Hits:150
By : AFP

HANOI: Vietnam and Japan must “play a more active role” in maintaining regional peace and security, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said in the face of growing maritime tensions with China. Read more

Algeria troops surround Islamist hostage-takers

Published : Friday January 18, 2013   |  Category : World   |  Hits:85
By : AFP

ALGIERS: Algerian troops surrounded Islamists holding foreign hostages at a gas field on Thursday, a day after a deadly attack the gunmen said was in reprisal for Algeria’s cooperation in French operations in Mali. Read more

Floods bring Indonesia’s capital to near stand still

Published : Friday January 18, 2013   |  Category : World   |  Hits:84
By : AFP

JAKARTA: Waist-deep floods brought the Indonesian capital Jakarta to a standstill on Thursday, with roads impassable, thousands of homes under water and the president forced to roll up his trousers at the palace. Read more

Obama unveils sweeping gun control measures

Published : Friday January 18, 2013   |  Category : World   |  Hits:54
By : AFP

WASHINGTON, D.C.: President Barack Obama on Wednesday (Thursday in Manila) demanded an assault weapons ban and universal background checks for gun buyers as part of sweeping gun control measures in response to the Newtown school massacre. Read more

WORLD IN BRIEF

Published : Friday January 18, 2013   |  Category : World   |  Hits:46
By : AFP

NO SUFFICIENT EVIDENCE TO ARREST PAKISTAN PMISLAMABAD: The head of Pakistan’s anti-corruption watchdog told the Supreme Court on Thursday he did not yet have enough evidence to move against Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf and 15 Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC