
| Israeli security forces surround the place where a rocket fired by Palestinian militants from the Gaza Strip landed in an olive grove in West Bank near Jerusalem on November 20, 2012. The rocket from Gaza struck an olive grove in West Bank near Jerusalem, shortly before UN chief Ban Ki-moon arrived for talks on ending the Gaza crisis. The attack was claimed by the armed wing of Gaza's ruling Hamas movement, in the second such attempt to target Jerusalem in four days. AFP PHOTO |
JERUSALEM: Israeli ministers have decided to hold off from launching a ground invasion of the Gaza Strip to give Egyptian-led truce efforts a chance to work, a senior Israeli official told Agence France-Presse on Tuesday.
“A decision was taken that for the time being there is a temporary hold on the ground incursion to give diplomacy a chance to succeed,” he said after a late-night meeting of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s key ministers, the Forum of Nine.
“They discussed both the state of the diplomacy and the military operation,” he said on condition of anonymity.
As an Egyptian-brokered ceasefire plan took shape at indirect negotiations in Cairo between Israel and a Hamas team, a stream of top-level diplomats headed for the region to throw their weight behind efforts to end the violence, which on Tuesday entered its seventh day.
In the morning, Netanyahu held talks with German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle, telling him Israel was looking to secure a “long-term” agreement that would ensure rockets were not smuggled into the Hamas-run territory.
“I believe that Germany can play a positive role in finding a solution to the conflict based on a long-term arrangement that ensures that such weapons do not again enter the Gaza Strip,” Netanyahu’s office quoted him as saying.
“I prefer a diplomatic solution,” he said. “I hope that we can achieve such a solution, but if not, we have the full right to defend ourselves with other means and we shall use them.”
UN Chief Ban Ki-moon, who is currently in Cairo, is to meet Israeli President Shimon Peres later on Tuesday and Netanyahu and others on Wednesday.
And US officials said that Secretary of State Hillary Clinton would break away from an Asia visit to travel to Egypt, Israel and the West Bank, with Palestinian officials saying that she was to meet Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas on Wednesday morning.
As truce efforts grew, Israel continued to build up its ground forces along the Gaza border, ready to go in if required, the Israeli official told Agence France-Presse.
“Preparations for the ground incursion continue,” he said.
“If we see that diplomacy does not bear fruit—and the time we’ve given to diplomacy is limited—all the preparations are being undertaken so that if and when the order is given the ground incursion can happen expeditiously.”
A statement from the Knesset, Israel’s parliament, said its Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee would meet during the day to rubber stamp a request by Defense Minister Ehud Barak to raise to 75,000 the number of army reservists he can call up, in a move already approved by the cabinet.
At least 16,000 reservists had been mobilised by the end of last week, out of 30,000 callups previously authorized.
The army would not give an updated number on Tuesday, saying that only that reservists were constantly being drafted according to need.
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:148
By : AFP
HANOI: Vietnam and Japan must “play a more active role” in maintaining regional peace and security, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said in the face of growing maritime tensions with China. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:85
By : AFP
ALGIERS: Algerian troops surrounded Islamists holding foreign hostages at a gas field on Thursday, a day after a deadly attack the gunmen said was in reprisal for Algeria’s cooperation in French operations in Mali. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:83
By : AFP
JAKARTA: Waist-deep floods brought the Indonesian capital Jakarta to a standstill on Thursday, with roads impassable, thousands of homes under water and the president forced to roll up his trousers at the palace. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:54
By : AFP
WASHINGTON, D.C.: President Barack Obama on Wednesday (Thursday in Manila) demanded an assault weapons ban and universal background checks for gun buyers as part of sweeping gun control measures in response to the Newtown school massacre. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:46
By : AFP
NO SUFFICIENT EVIDENCE TO ARREST PAKISTAN PMISLAMABAD: The head of Pakistan’s anti-corruption watchdog told the Supreme Court on Thursday he did not yet have enough evidence to move against Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf and 15 Read more