
| This undated handout file photograph released by the Mumbai Police on December 1, 2008, shows arrested Islamist militant Mohammed Ajmal Amir Iman—also known as Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab –lying on a bed at an undisclosed location in Mumbai. AFP PHOTO |
MUMBAI: The sole surviving gunman from the 2008 Mumbai attacks was executed on Wednesday, nearly four years after 166 people were killed in a three-day rampage through India’s financial capital.
Pakistan-born Mohammed Kasab was hanged at Yerwada jail in Pune in the western state of Maharashtra after President Pranab Mukherjee rejected his pleas for mercy earlier this month.
“Kasab was transferred to Yerwada jail two days ago. He was hanged at 7:30 this morning (local time),” Maharashtra home minister R.R. Patil announced to reporters in Mumbai. “His execution is a fitting tribute to the victims of Mumbai attacks.”
The 25-year-old Kasab was one of 10 gunmen who laid siege to the city in attacks that began on November 26, 2008, and lasted nearly three days. It was the deadliest militant onslaught on Indian soil since independence.
He was sentenced to death in May 2010 after he was found guilty of a string of charges, including waging war against India, murder and terrorist acts.
Federal home minister Sushilkumar Shinde said that the Indian government had informed its counterparts in Pakistan of Kasab’s execution. But it was not immediately clear whether the communication came before or after the execution.
The minister said that India was prepared to hand over the gunman’s body to Pakistani authorities but it had received no such request so far.
During the attacks, heavily armed Islamist gunmen stormed targets in Mumbai including luxury hotels, a Jewish center, a hospital and a bustling train station.
Devika Rotwan, now 13, who was shot in the leg when Kasab and his colleague Ismail Khan opened fire at the Chattrapati Shivaji Terminus on the first night of the attacks, said she was pleased to hear about the execution.
“I am very happy that Kasab has been hanged. I had always felt and said that it should have happened earlier, but it is good,” said Rotwan, who gave evidence at Kasab’s trial. “The government has done something good at last.”
India blames the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) militant organization for training, equipping and financing the gunmen with support from “elements” in the Pakistani military.
Pakistan has admitted that the attacks were planned partly on its soil, but denies any official involvement. It charged seven alleged plotters behind the attacks in 2009 but has insisted more evidence is needed to convict them.
Kasab initially pleaded not guilty at his trial but later confessed, admitting he was one of the gunmen sent by the LeT.
At his trial, the prosecution produced fingerprint, DNA, eyewitness and TV footage evidence showing him opening fire and throwing grenades at Mumbai’s main railway station in the bloodiest episode of the attacks.
When his trial began in 2009, Kasab at first appeared relaxed, joking or smiling at lawyers and reporters.
But he seemed increasingly sullen, withdrawn and even asleep as the trial progressed, prompting fears for his mental state. He showed no emotion in the dock when the verdict was handed down.
Kasab appealed in the Supreme Court, claiming he did not receive a fair trial but his petition was struck down in August.
India has executed just one person in 15 years — a former security guard hanged in 2004 for the rape and murder of a 14-year-old girl.
Prisoners can often languish for years on death row but there had been a huge clamor for Kasab’s execution.
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:147
By : AFP
HANOI: Vietnam and Japan must “play a more active role” in maintaining regional peace and security, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said in the face of growing maritime tensions with China. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:85
By : AFP
ALGIERS: Algerian troops surrounded Islamists holding foreign hostages at a gas field on Thursday, a day after a deadly attack the gunmen said was in reprisal for Algeria’s cooperation in French operations in Mali. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:83
By : AFP
JAKARTA: Waist-deep floods brought the Indonesian capital Jakarta to a standstill on Thursday, with roads impassable, thousands of homes under water and the president forced to roll up his trousers at the palace. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:54
By : AFP
WASHINGTON, D.C.: President Barack Obama on Wednesday (Thursday in Manila) demanded an assault weapons ban and universal background checks for gun buyers as part of sweeping gun control measures in response to the Newtown school massacre. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:46
By : AFP
NO SUFFICIENT EVIDENCE TO ARREST PAKISTAN PMISLAMABAD: The head of Pakistan’s anti-corruption watchdog told the Supreme Court on Thursday he did not yet have enough evidence to move against Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf and 15 Read more