BORDEAUX: France’s ex-president Nicolas Sarkozy appeared before a judge on Thursday to respond to charges that his 2007 electoral campaign was financed with funds secured illegally from France’s richest woman.
In a case that could wreck the 57-year-old’s hopes of a political comeback, Sarkozy is suspected of taking financial advantage of elderly L’Oreal heiress Liliane Bettencourt at a time when she was too frail to fully understand what she was doing.
Sarkozy’s appearance comes with his right-wing UMP party in turmoil after the battle to replace him degenerated into mud-slinging and both contenders claimed victory.
Examining magistrate Jean-Michel Gentil is expected to spend most of the day quizzing Sarkozy about how he obtained funding from Bettencourt.
Judicial sources said that Sarkozy could be formally indicted on a charge of taking advantage of someone in a position of weakness, although the magistrate also has the option of interrogating him as a witness under caution.
Bettencourt is now 90 and has been in poor health since 2006.
The allegation against Sarkozy is two-fold: that the money obtained from her took his campaign financing over legal limits and that it had been secured without her full knowledge or consent.
This latter claim was made by Bettencourt’s former accountant, Claire Thibout in 2010. She told police that she had handed 150,000 euros in cash to Bettencourt’s right-hand man, Patrice de Maistre, on the understanding it was to be passed on to Sarkozy’s campaign treasurer, Eric Woerth.
Maistre withdrew a total of four million euros in cash from Bet-tencourt’s Swiss bank account in seven installments between 2007 and 2009.
Investigators suspect some or all of the money could have found its way to Sarkozy or his party.
In July, the examining magistrate ordered the seizure of Sarkozy’s diaries in order to establish what he was doing around the time the cash was being moved.
Claude Gueant, a close ally of Sarkozy who served as his interior minister, said the courts needed to show why his questioning was necessary.
French authorities confirmed this week that they have also opened a preliminary investigation over the management of opinion polls carried out during Sarkozy’s 2007-12 term as president.
That probe was triggered by anti-graft organization Anticor, which suspects Sarkozy of having handed the contract for the polls to a company, Publifact, run by his former advisor Patrick Buisson, and of using public funds to carry out his own party political electoral research.
Sarkozy has not ruled out another tilt at the presidency in 2017 after he lost to Socialist Francois Hollande in this year’s vote.
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:147
By : AFP
HANOI: Vietnam and Japan must “play a more active role” in maintaining regional peace and security, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said in the face of growing maritime tensions with China. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:85
By : AFP
ALGIERS: Algerian troops surrounded Islamists holding foreign hostages at a gas field on Thursday, a day after a deadly attack the gunmen said was in reprisal for Algeria’s cooperation in French operations in Mali. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:83
By : AFP
JAKARTA: Waist-deep floods brought the Indonesian capital Jakarta to a standstill on Thursday, with roads impassable, thousands of homes under water and the president forced to roll up his trousers at the palace. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:54
By : AFP
WASHINGTON, D.C.: President Barack Obama on Wednesday (Thursday in Manila) demanded an assault weapons ban and universal background checks for gun buyers as part of sweeping gun control measures in response to the Newtown school massacre. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:46
By : AFP
NO SUFFICIENT EVIDENCE TO ARREST PAKISTAN PMISLAMABAD: The head of Pakistan’s anti-corruption watchdog told the Supreme Court on Thursday he did not yet have enough evidence to move against Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf and 15 Read more