SYDNEY: Australians who take part in the fighting in Syria face up to 20 years in jail, a spokesman for Foreign Minister Bob Carr said on Friday after a Melbourne man was reportedly killed in the conflict.
The spokesman said that the government was aware of reports that more than 100 Australians had engaged in the conflict since 2011 but he had “no evidence” of any citizens currently involved.
Under the Crimes (Foreign Incursions and Recruitment) Act 1978: “A person shall not enter a foreign state with intent to engage in a hostile activity... or engage in a hostile activity in a foreign state.
“Penalty [is] imprisonment for 20 years,” the spokesman said. “Anyone in Australia who recruits someone to fight overseas faces seven years.”
At least three Australians are reported to have died in Syria, including a Melbourne bricklayer reportedly traveling under the name Abu al-Walid al-Australi and killed last weekend fighting alongside rebels.
Australian Arabic Council founder Joseph Wakim said that many people traveling to Syria claimed they were providing humanitarian support to the war-torn nation but were instead involved in the fighting.
“I do believe that for most of these people it is far more a decision of personal conviction than it is of some sort of financial gain,” he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
Wakim has called for greater vigilance over people traveling to the country. But Carr said it was very difficult to keep track of people’s movements in Syria.
“It’s a country on the verge of collapse and internal communications are extremely poor,” Carr told the ABC.
“We know... that it is a matter of militia against militia; that local militia control parts of the country and our capacity to know what individual Australians might be doing inside Syria is, of course, extremely limited.”
Australia has been deeply critical of the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and has urged all its citizens to leave Syria, but there are 67 left in the country, mostly dual-nationals who are long-term residents.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:144
By : AFP
TOKYO: Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Wednesday left for Southeast Asia on his first overseas trip since winning power, seeking to shore up relationships as a counterweight to an increasingly confident China. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:84
By : AFP
BEIJING: China has cleaned up its air before, but experts say that if it wants to avoid the kind of smog that choked the country this week it must overhaul an economy fuelled by heavily polluting coal and car use. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:78
By : AFP
WASHINGTON, D.C.: US defense secretary-designate Chuck Hagel cleared a key bar to his Senate confirmation on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), winning the backing of a powerful Democrat who had been concerned about his stances on Iran and Israel. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:84
By : AFP

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : World | Hits:81
By : AFP
WASHINGTON, D.C.: Democracy around the world was in decline in 2012 for the seventh year in a row as the Arab Spring led nervous autocratic leaders to clamp down on any stirrings of dissent, a US study said on Wednesday. Read more