checkmate

Egypt court orders retrial for ex-president Mubarak

Egyptian supporters of former president Hosni Mubarak celebrate in Cairo after the court of Cessation, the top appeals court, accepted an appeal for a retrial of the ousted president. AFP PHOTO





CAIRO: An Egyptian court ordered a retrial for former president Hosni Mubarak after accepting an appeal against the life sentence handed him for his involvement in the deaths of protesters in 2011.


Mubarak, 84, his two sons Alaa and Gamal, his former interior minister Habib al-Adly and top security chiefs will face a new trial, the Court of Cassation, the top appeals court, ruled after a very brief hearing.

The ruling was met with cries of “Long live justice!” by Mubarak supporters who held up the former strongman’s picture and hugged each other in the courtroom, with dozens more outside shouting “We love you, president!”

Mubarak, his sons and Adly will remain in jail, however, as they still face separate cases.

Judge Ahmed Ali Abdelrahman told the court he had accepted the appeals by Mubarak, Adly and the prosecution, thereby canceling all previous rulings by the Cairo criminal court.

A date has still to be set for the new trial, judicial sources said.

Sunday’s ruling was “expected after a flawed and disappointing trial,” prominent rights group, the Egyptian Initiative for Personal Rights (EIPR) said in a statement.

Mubarak’s epic fall from grace, from the dictatorial head of the Arab World’s most populous nation to a defendant behind bars, was for many a promising sign that the revolution that toppled him was on the right track.

But the case against the former president verged on the farcical, with patchwork evidence and prosecution witnesses exonerating the defendants, legal experts said.

“The trial was a disappointment since the start of investigations and until the verdict. Despite popular optimism that justice was close . . . what we saw were superficial interrogations marred by negligence,” said Hoda Nasrallah, a lawyer with EIPR.

The biggest shock, she said, was that the verdict cleared the security services of any responsibility and found no one directly guilty of the killings.

EIPR urged the new court to “avoid the mistakes” of the first court hearing and called for the guarantee of a fair trial.

Sunday’s ruling comes less than two weeks before the second anniversary of the start of the popular uprising that unseated Mubarak and paved the way for the election of the country’s first Islamist president, Mohamed Morsi.

On June 2, Mubarak and Adly were sentenced to life in prison for failing to prevent the deaths of over 800 protesters during the 18-day uprising that began on January 25, 2011.

Six security chiefs on trial in the same case were acquitted at the time.

Mubarak and his two sons, Gamal and Alaa were acquitted on corruption charges due to the expiry of a statute of limitations.

The rulings sparked nationwide outrage, with thousands taking to the streets to vent their anger that no one had been found directly guilty of killing the protesters.

On Saturday, an ailing Mubarak was interrogated over fresh charges of corruption and ordered detained for 15 days pending investigation.

He is accused of accepting gifts worth seven million Egyptian pounds (around $1 million) from the country’s flagship state newspaper Al-Ahram.

Following sentencing in June 2012, Mubarak was moved to Tora prison in south Cairo after spending 16 months in hospitals in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh and then in Cairo.

World

Japan PM shores up SE Asia ties over rising China

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : World   |  Hits:96
By : AFP

TOKYO: Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Wednesday left for Southeast Asia on his first overseas trip since winning power, seeking to shore up relationships as a counterweight to an increasingly confident China. Read more

Beijing needs drastic change to tackle smog

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : World   |  Hits:65
By : AFP

BEIJING: China has cleaned up its air before, but experts say that if it wants to avoid the kind of smog that choked the country this week it must overhaul an economy fuelled by heavily polluting coal and car use. Read more

Hagel wins key backing for Pentagon chief job

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : World   |  Hits:59
By : AFP

WASHINGTON, D.C.: US defense secretary-designate Chuck Hagel cleared a key bar to his Senate confirmation on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), winning the backing of a powerful Democrat who had been concerned about his stances on Iran and Israel. Read more

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : World   |  Hits:43
By : AFP

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more

Democracy in decline worldwide, says study

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : World   |  Hits:60
By : AFP

WASHINGTON, D.C.: Democracy around the world was in decline in 2012 for the seventh year in a row as the Arab Spring led nervous autocratic leaders to clamp down on any stirrings of dissent, a US study said on Wednesday. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC