checkmate

The MNLF will not go away

Ever since the Government of the Republic of the Philippines (GRP) and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) announced that a peace agreement between the two sides was forthcoming, the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) has been vocal in expressing its apprehension that they would be excluded from the agreement.


The framework of that peace pact is expected to be signed in Malacañang today.

MNLF founder Nur Misuari has warned that the new deal was a “recipe for crisis” which could lead to war. Others in the MNLF hierarchy share the same dim view, including Muslimin Sema, said to be the incoming chairman of the Front once its new charter is approved.

Under a worst-case scenario, the MNLF will again take up arms against the national government. They say that they will be left with no other choice given the government’s alleged inability to fully implement the Tripoli agreement hammered out in 1976, followed by the more detailed pact agreed to in 1996.

For its part, the MILF has said that Misuari and company are just making noise. In rejecting the peace pact, the MILF added that the MNLF is showing its true colors. Who in his right mind would reject the possibility of a just and lasting peace in Mindanao, they ask.

It is no secret that there is much bad blood between the two forces. The MILF was a spin-off organization of the MNLF, because the former did not fully agree with the original peace agreement signed by the latter. Complicating the matter further is the fact that the MNLF is itself split into two factions, one of which no longer recognizes Misuari as their leader, spiritual or otherwise.

There is also a deeper issue involved. The leaders of the MNLF come from different tribes than the leaders of the MILF, and there is a lot of mistrust between the two sides.

The government has stated that there will be a seat at the table for the MNLF. Still, it is clear that the MNLF does not want to be treated as mere guests at the party of the GRP and MILF. They want to be treated as equals, which the MILF is not inclined to accept.

For now, the biggest issue is the creation of a new autonomous political entity to be known as the Bangsamoro, which would replace the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM). For next year’s elections, Misuari has already declared his candidacy for ARMM governor, a position that he previously held.

The ARMM is composed of Basilan, Sulu, Tawi-Tawi, Maguindanao, Lanao del Norte and Lanao del Sur, including the chartered cities of Marawi and Lamitan. Under the proposed Bangsamoro region, North Cotabato will be included, along with other areas which may seek inclusion in the new political entity.

The government would do well to hold separate talks between the MNLF and the MILF, hopefully to get the two sides to come to some kind of broad agreement to make the new peace pact work.

The MILF should accept the fact that the MNLF will not go away, nor will they meekly accept any agreement that excludes them.

Editorials

Have crimes really declined?

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Editorials   |  Hits:132

THE other day, President Benigno Aquino 3rd proudly claimed at a formal affair in Intramuros that crime in our country has declined substantially. Read more

Attempts to emasculate the Court Administrator

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : Editorials   |  Hits:425

CHIEF Justice Ma. Lourdes Sereno, we reported on page 1 yesterday, is still pushing for the decentralization of the Office of the Court Administrator, despite being rebuffed earlier by the Supreme Court en banc. Read more

Persecution and terrorism

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : Editorials   |  Hits:274

The moves to persecute Supreme Court Administrator Midas Marquez will surely backfire. The President’s popularity rating is still very high but has been going down, albeit slightly. Making a martyr of Mr. Marquez will cause the President’s approval r... Read more

Poverty, unemployment and our boom economy

Published : Tuesday January 15, 2013   |  Category : Editorials   |  Hits:477

ONCE more the latest report of the Social Weather Stations (SWS)—which, after BusinessWorld had exclusive first rights to it yesterday, becomes ccessible to all today—shows that more Filipino families see themselves as poor (“mahirap”). Read more

Go after all illegal, unlicensed guns

Published : Monday January 14, 2013   |  Category : Editorials   |  Hits:309

If the Aquino administration is so adamantly against enforcing a total gun ban, then the next best thing is for the government to declare an all-out drive against the possession of all sorts of illegal and unlicensed firearms. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC