checkmate

Support grows as foes of deal clam up

President Benigno Aquino 3rd and Moro Islamic Liberation Front Chairman Murad Ebrahim in Tokyo on August 4, 2011. The President gave a gift of P5 million to the MILF. FILE PHOTO

 

 

 

 

THE signing of the “framework agreement on the Bangsamoro” by the government and the Moro Islamic Liberatiopn Front (MILF) is irrevocably set tomorrow in Malacañang.


Auspiciously, the event is not being attacked by politicians previously opposed to the government’s long-held plan to give Muslims who wish to have an autonomous MILF-dominated homeland (that could include the politicians’ own home towns and provinces).
These politicians are now silent on the creation of the future Bangsamoro.

Among those who had spoken out in strong terms against a homeland deal for the MILF that could disrupt normal life in their localities — where Christian and Muslim Filipinos live and work harmoniously together — are Mayor Lawrence Cruz of Iligan City, former North Cotabato Governor Manny Puñol and newly-appointed Department of Interior and Local Government Mar Roxas.

Even before copies of the “framework agreement” were released for the public to assess and analyze, Piñol even sent out an email message to his friends telling them that he has decided to acquiesce in whatever peace deal President Benigno Aquino 3rd would approve.

This he said is because he trusts in the President’s probity and judgment, that the President—together with Secretary Mar Roxas—would not stake their names behind a deal that would do harm to the people.

Only half a year ago, the MILF had attacked Secretary Roxas for having voiced his apprehensions about the MILF’s intentions in Mindanao.

Mayor Celso Lobregat of Zamboanga City and Mayor CheryLyn Santos Akbar of Isabela City, did not sounding as militant as before when they questioned the provision in the “framework agreement” that threatens to force mixed-Muslim-Christian areas into becoming part of the Bangsamoro homeland.

This provision under the “framework agreement” article on “Territory” says:

“3. Areas which are contiguous and outside the core territory where there are substantial populations of the Bangsamoro may opt anytime to be part of the territory upon petition of at least ten percent (10%) of the residents and approved by a majority of qualified voters in a plebiscite.”

Besides Mayors Lobregat and Akbar, however, most former critics of the MILF-dominated proposed autonomous region expressed approval of the new agreement.

Even House Deputy Speaker and Zamboanga Congesswoman Maria Isabelle Salazar Climaco praised the government deal. Her words of praise were, however, not exactly for the creation of the proposed Bangsamoro autonomous region but for the government’s respecting “our stand for the non-inclusion” of Zamboanga City in the Bangsamoro territory.

She is the chairperson of the President’s and Secretary Mar Roxas’ Liberal Party and is the ruling coalition’s candidate for mayor in Zamboanga City.

She said her approval of the GPH-MILF agreement came after the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process (OPAPP) assured her that the voice of the people of Zamboanga City, asking not to be included in the ARMM in two plebiscites in the past would continue to be respected.

Christian, Muslim and CSO groups join in calling for support of the deal
Reflecting the unity of Christian, Muslim and civil society groups in calling for support of the GPH-MILF agreement, a peace caravan was launched on Friday in Cotabato City. It is heading to Manila on a four-day trip that would take the convoy across the Philippine capital on Monday to witness the historic signing of the peace pact between the Aquino government and the MILF.

Dubbed “Lakbayan ng Mamamayan ng ARMM para sa Kapayapaan [ARMM Citizens’ Journey for Peace],” the caravan is joined by hundreds of peace advocates, civil society groups, and civil employees of the regional government.

Civil society and Muslim religious groups had joined mounting calls for peace in the southern Philippines ahead of the signing of peace pact between Manila and Moro Islamic Liberation Front rebels.

This, after former Muslim rebel leader Nur Misuari, who heads a faction of the rival Moro National Liberation Front, warned that the new peace deal with the MILF could spark unrest in Mindanao.

Misuari signed a peace accord with the government in September 1996 ending decades of hostilities in the South that led to the creation of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) which comprises Basilan, Sulu, Tawi-Tawi, Maguindanao and Lanao provinces, and the cities of Lamitan and Marawi.

But the government peace pact with the MILF would basically create a new Muslim autonomous region called Bangsamoro and replace the ARMM as the Filipino Muslims’ autonomous region, with several more areas in North Cotabato, Maguindanao and Lanao del Norte added to the original ARMM.

Sulu Gov. Sakur Tan will try to persuade Chairman Misuari
Sulu Gov. Sakur Tan said he would meet and talk with Misuari to convince him that the Aquino government is sincere in achieving peace in Mindanao.

Tan said MNLF commanders have been going around some parts of Sulu and that he explained to them the government’s peace process.

“MNLF commanders are making their rounds in some parts of Sulu and I was able to talk to them and sinabi ko na pagbigyan nila tayo tungo sa kapayapaan. I also sent word to my brother Chairman Nur Misuari and one of these days mag-uusap kami. Ipinarating ko sa kanya na maging mahinahon, sa ganitong paraan we can resolve any misunderstanding and have genuine peace in Sulu and the whole of Mindanao.”

“I have made my appeal to everybody to keep their cool. Walang mangyayari sa atin kung tayo ay babalik na naman sa nakaraan, kawawa ang mg tao dito sa Sulu at sa buong Mindanao. [We will all end up with nothing again if we go back to the old ways of war and fighting, the people here in Sulu and the whole of Mindanao will continue being miserbable.] ” Tan said.

Civil society and religious groups in ARMM also echoed Tan’s appeal for peace in Mindanao and said they are supporting the government’s peace process. Tan said he welcomed the group’s support and appealed to Muslims in Mindanao to rally behind peace process.

“We cannot sacrifice again the people of Mindanao; they have already suffered so much. I told the (MNLF) commanders that the government is sincere in pursuing peace in the region; and that their role as leaders of the MNLF is very important in the achievement of this goal, as leaders they should set the example,” Tan said.

“Walang repormang mangyayari kung ang kapayapaan ay hindi natin pagbibigyan [There will be n reforms if we don’t give peace a chance.] I will not support and allow anything that is not pro-people. And I am ready to appeal to and stop any group that starts to make trouble here in Sulu and Mindanao.]”

 “We, the ARMM provincial governors, support this Framework Agreement reached between the Aquino government with the MILF [Moro Islamic Liberation Front] because it will peacefully resolve the armed conflict in Mindanao through democratic process and constitutional ways. It is not like the ‘all-out-war’ policy, which solves nothing and merely prolongs conflict and causes deaths,” he said.

“There is nothing to worry about or fear in the Framework Agreement, which is a road map for an inclusive and transparent peace process being pursued now by the Daang Matuwid [straight path] policy of President Aquino. The rights of the people will be respected and they will be asked in a plebiscite. The process (of replacing ARMM with Bangsamoro) will be very democratic. It will pass the constitutional test.”

ARMM officials support the peace process
“The ARMM supports people’s participation in the peace process and must provide avenues for awareness to be raised,” said ARMM Executive Secretary Anwar Malang.

ARMM Gov. Mujiv Hataman hailed the peace pact and said Muslims in Mindanao also supporting the peace process.

“ARMM officials hail the announcement of Aquino of the Framework Agreement by the government and MILF that would pave the way to the region’s new autonomous political entity the Bangsamoro,” Hataman said.

The Organization of Islamic Cooperation also praised the peace pact and congratulated both the Philippine government and the MILF for reaching a “Framework Agreement” to end the long standing conflict in Mindanao.

“The Secretary General (Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu) expressed the hope that it will pave the way for a just and lasting peace for the Bangsamoro people who have suffered too long and endured huge sacrifices. He commended also the indispensible role played by Malaysia as a facilitator of the process,” an OIC spokesman said, adding Ihsanoglu also commended Malaysia for brokering the talks.

“The OIC hopes that this will usher in a new phase of consolidating peace and start the long awaited development process of the region,” the spokesman said. 

Special Report

2013 will see denial of change waning

Published : Sunday January 13, 2013   |  Category : Special Report   |  Hits:363
By : STRATFOR

2013 will see denial of change waning

The Beijing skyline as seen on January 12. AFP PHOTO     [Manila Times Editor’s note: This STRATFOR FORECAST covers the whole world. Space constraints allow is only to publish today the East Asia and South Asia portions. We will publ... Read more

3 CHINA-RELATED ISSUES WILL SHAPE EVENTS

Published : Sunday January 13, 2013   |  Category : Special Report   |  Hits:308

Three things will shape events in East Asia in 2013: Beijing’s struggle to maintain social and political stability amid lower economic growth rates; China’s accelerating military modernization and Read more

Pakistan interactions with Russia will increase, India will continue to look East

Published : Sunday January 13, 2013   |  Category : Special Report   |  Hits:290

Pakistan interactions with Russia will increase, India will continue to look East

India is an agricultural, industrial and military power that nuclear-arm power. Here, nn Indian man dies rice at a rice field on the outskirts of Bhubaneswar on January 7, 2013. India commands over two per cent of the Earth’s land area and ab... Read more

Tibetan succession drama

Published : Sunday January 13, 2013   |  Category : Special Report   |  Hits:129
By : Robert D. Kaplan and Rodger Baker

Besides all the worries that Chinese leaders have about their economy, as well as the worries they have about the stability of the Communist Party at a time of rapid change, there is China’s geographical periphery for them to be concerned about. This... Read more

Growth of US-Myanmar ties threatens Chinese interests

Published : Sunday January 06, 2013   |  Category : Special Report   |  Hits:955

Growth of US-Myanmar ties threatens Chinese interests

Honor guard marches during a flagraising ceremony to mark Myanmar’s 65th Independence Day at the People’s Square near Shwedagon pagoda in Yangon January 4, 2013. AFP PHOTO / YE AUNG THU         The United States has been attempting... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC