LONDON: British newspaper The Sunday Times said on Sunday that it is suing Lance Armstrong for over £1 million ($1.6 million, 1.2 million euros) over a libel payment made to the disgraced cyclist in 2006.
The newspaper paid Armstrong £300,000 to settle a libel case after previously suggesting that he may have cheated.
But the United States Anti-Doping Agency subsequently found that he had led the “most sophisticated” doping program in sporting history, leading to a life ban for the Texan, who was also stripped of his seven Tour de France wins.
The Sunday Times is reportedly demanding the return of the original settlement payment, along with interest and legal costs.
In a letter to Armstrong’s lawyers, the paper said: “It is clear that the proceedings were baseless and fraudulent. Your representations that you had never taken performance-enhancing drugs were deliberately false.”
The newspaper had long questioned Armstrong’s achievements and in 2004 it published an article stating that it was appropriate for questions about his success to be “posed and answered.”
After Armstrong’s lawyers issued a writ, the newspaper settled with him in June 2006.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:94
By : AFP
This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:98
By : JOSEF T. RAMOS
INTERNATIONAL Boxing Federation (IBF) light flyweight champion Johnriel Casimero will defend his title against mandatory challenger Panamanian Luis Alberto “Pan Blanco” Rios on March 16, in Panama. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:123
By : JOSEF T. RAMOS
Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez. AFP FILE PHOTO MAJORITY of boxing fans worldwide want to see a fifth fight between former pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao and Mexican legend Juan Manuel Marquez this year according to a... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:42
By : EMIL C. NOGUERA
Longtime partners Filipino Treat Conrad Huey and British Dominic Inglot will begin their campaign today in the men’s doubles of the prestigious 2013 Australian Open in Melbourne. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:56
By : EMIL C. NOGUERA
Four Filipinos stayed unbeaten after three rounds in the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) Cup International Chess Championships being held at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium in Adria-tico, Manila. Read more