checkmate

SPORTSINBRIEF

Wade suspended for kicking Sessions
NEW YORK CITY: Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade was suspended for one game by the NBA

on Thursday (Friday in Manila) for kicking Charlotte’s Ramon Sessions in the groin in a game on Wednesday. Wade will be suspended for Friday’s game against the Detroit Pistons because of the incident, which occurred in the fourth quarter of Miami’s 105-92 victory over the Bobcats.

Sessions was whistled for a foul on Wade on the play near midcourt, and Wade’s flailing leg hit him and sent him to the floor. Miami were leading by four points at the time, and Wade was not called for a foul.

Lakers’ Howard fined $35,000
NEW YORK CITY: Los Angeles Lakers center Dwight Howard has been fined $35,000 for a flagrant foul against Kenneth Faried of Denver, the NBA said Thursday (Friday in Manila).

Howard was ejected in the third quarter of the Lakers’ loss to the Nuggets on Wednesday after making contact with the head of a driving Faried. Howard clearly felt the ejection was an over-reaction. “It was a hard foul, that’s all I know,” Howard said after the game. “I’ve been fouled harder than that before and nobody ever got kicked out of the game for it, but I get penalized for fouling people hard.”

Johnson sacked as Nets coach
NEW YORK CITY: The Brooklyn Nets on Thursday (Friday in Manila) sacked Avery Johnson as head coach, just a day after his side slipped to a 108-93 defeat to Milwaukee, the club’s general manager Billy King announced. Johnson was named head coach of the Nets on June 15, 2010 and in over two seasons he compiled a record of 60-116. The Nets are 14-14 this season but have lost 10 of their last 13 matches. “The Nets ownership would like to express thanks to Avery for his efforts and to wish him every success in the future,” said Brooklyn Nets principal owner Mikhail Prokhorov.

Seahawks’ Sherman wins doping appeal
NEW YORK CITY: Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman said Thursday (Friday in Manila) he has won his appeal and avoided a threatened four-game ban for violating the NFL’s anti-doping policy. Sherman, who went to the league offices in New York for the appeal last week, said on Twitter Thursday that he had won his case. He’ll be eligible to play for Seattle during the playoffs. “Thank you @nfl for upholding the truth,” Sherman tweeted. Sherman had steadfastly denied taking performance enhancing drugs since NFL.com and other US media reported in late November that he and fellow Seahawks cornerback Brandon Browner had both tested positive for the prohibited stimulant Adderall.  
AFP

Top Sports News

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Sports News   |  Hits:94
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Casimero to defend title in Panama

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Sports News   |  Hits:97
By : JOSEF T. RAMOS

INTERNATIONAL Boxing Federation (IBF) light flyweight champion Johnriel Casimero will defend his title against mandatory challenger Panamanian Luis Alberto “Pan Blanco” Rios on March 16, in Panama. Read more

Fans want Pacquiao-Marquez 5 this year

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Sports News   |  Hits:122
By : JOSEF T. RAMOS

Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez. AFP FILE PHOTO     MAJORITY of boxing fans worldwide want to see a fifth fight between former pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao and Mexican legend Juan Manuel Marquez this year according to a... Read more

HUEY, PARTNER BRACE FOR MELBOURNE

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Sports News   |  Hits:42
By : EMIL C. NOGUERA

Longtime partners Filipino Treat Conrad Huey and British Dominic Inglot will begin their campaign today in the men’s doubles of the prestigious 2013 Australian Open in Melbourne. Read more

4 Pinoys stay unscathed in PSC chess tilt

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Sports News   |  Hits:55
By : EMIL C. NOGUERA

Four Filipinos stayed unbeaten after three rounds in the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) Cup International Chess Championships being held at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium in Adria-tico, Manila. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC