BRISBANE, Australia: Reigning French Open champion Maria Sharapova was forced to withdraw from the season-opening Brisbane International on Tuesday with a right collarbone injury.
“I had a bit of inflammation in my collarbone and I sent it to my doctor in New York and he told me I couldn’t really do much overhead training for about a week,” said the Russian world No. 2.
“So to be fair I haven’t really given myself a chance to pretty much hit any serves or anything over my head, I’ve just been practising groundstrokes. So I just kind of ran out of time here,” she added.
It is the second year in a row that Sharapova has withdrawn from the tournament without playing a shot.
In 2012 she skipped Brisbane because of an ankle injury and went straight to Melbourne to prepare for the Australian Open, where she finished runner-up to Victoria Azarenka.
Sharapova said she would do the same this year, passing up the opportunity of playing in Sydney next week to make sure that she is fit for Melbourne.
“I have my own fair share of experience and know that it’s much more important to be healthy going into a big tournament like the Australian Open than go into something big with a lot of matches and feel like you’re not prepared health-wise,” said the 25-year-old, who pulled out of an exhibition tournament in South Korea last week.
Earlier, former champion Radek Stepanek pulled out of Tuesday’s first-round clash with Lleyton He-witt due to an eye infection, handing Russian lucky lo-ser Igor Kunitsyn a berth in the main draw.
Two seeds fell by the wayside in early matches on Tuesday.
Italian Sara Errani, the fifth seed, lost in three sets to 2012 runner-up Daniela Han-tuchova 4-6, 6-1, 7-5 while in the men’s draw, Uzbe-kistan’s Denis Istomin downed eighth seed Slovakian Martin Klizan 6-1 6-2.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:94
By : AFP
This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:97
By : JOSEF T. RAMOS
INTERNATIONAL Boxing Federation (IBF) light flyweight champion Johnriel Casimero will defend his title against mandatory challenger Panamanian Luis Alberto “Pan Blanco” Rios on March 16, in Panama. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:122
By : JOSEF T. RAMOS
Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez. AFP FILE PHOTO MAJORITY of boxing fans worldwide want to see a fifth fight between former pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao and Mexican legend Juan Manuel Marquez this year according to a... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:41
By : EMIL C. NOGUERA
Longtime partners Filipino Treat Conrad Huey and British Dominic Inglot will begin their campaign today in the men’s doubles of the prestigious 2013 Australian Open in Melbourne. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:55
By : EMIL C. NOGUERA
Four Filipinos stayed unbeaten after three rounds in the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) Cup International Chess Championships being held at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium in Adria-tico, Manila. Read more