checkmate

Djokovic absorbs shock defeat from No. 52 Tomic

Novak Djokovic AFP PHOTO



PERTH, Australia: Serbia beat Australia at the Hopman Cup despite world No. 1 Novak Djokovic suffering a shock defeat at the hands of Bernard Tomic on Wednesday.


It was Djokovic’s first defeat on Australian soil since 2010, with the Serbian aiming for his third straight Australian Open title in Melbourne later this month.

With the 20-year-old Tomic showing the undoubted talent he has only displayed in flashes so far in his short career, a rusty Djokovic was broken in the ninth game of each set, losing 6-4, 6-4.

Tomic applied great pressure to the Djokovic serve throughout, holding 13 break points during the match.

He also hit 25 winners, to just 12 from Djokovic.

It was the first time the Serbian had been beaten by Tomic, ranked 52nd in the world, in four official meetings.

Djokovic, 25, dismissed the setback, having arrived in Perth only a few days ago after winning in Abu Dhabi.

“I knew I was coming here to Australia very late and it takes me time to get used to it,” he said.

“I know I am not close to my maximum, but I expected that.

“I was always on the back foot and he was the better player.”

Djokovic said he was fully aware of Tomic’s talent, the Australian reaching a career-high ranking of 27 at June. Tomic was a quarter-finalist at Wimbledon in 2011 and made the fourth round at last year’s Australian Open.

“He is right up there with the up-and-coming players, he is very talented,” Djokovic said of Tomic.

“He knows the game well and tactically plays very well for someone his age.

“He definitely has the game.”

Tomic said it was the best win of his career and a result that he needed to build on.

“I am still improving and I have got a lot more to improve,” he said.

“This is a good sign and I have to continue to play like this.”

Ana Ivanovic then levelled the Group A tie with a 6-2, 6-3 win over teenager Ashleigh Barty.

Serbia clinched the tie and remained unbeaten with a 6-4, 6-7 (8/10), 10-6 win in a match tiebreak in the mixed doubles.

Earlier on Wednesday, former French Open champion Francesca Schiavone showed her fighting qualities as Italy beat Germany 2-1.

Needing to win her singles match to keep Italy alive in the tie and the mixed teams tournament, the world number 35 was a set and a break down while battling stomach pain against little-known German Tajana Malek, but rallied determinedly to win in three sets.

Things were going to script when Schiavone won the first three games of the match, but the 112th-ranked German then won the next eight games in succession, before the Italian steadied to win 3-6, 6-3, 6-3.

Schiavone and Andreas Seppi then clinched the tie with a 6-4, 7-5 win over Tommy Haas and Malek in the mixed doubles.

Haas had given the Germans the lead in the tie with a hard-fought straight sets win over Seppi, 7-6 (7/3), 7-6 (9/7).             

Top Sports News

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Sports News   |  Hits:94
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Casimero to defend title in Panama

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Sports News   |  Hits:96
By : JOSEF T. RAMOS

INTERNATIONAL Boxing Federation (IBF) light flyweight champion Johnriel Casimero will defend his title against mandatory challenger Panamanian Luis Alberto “Pan Blanco” Rios on March 16, in Panama. Read more

Fans want Pacquiao-Marquez 5 this year

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Sports News   |  Hits:122
By : JOSEF T. RAMOS

Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez. AFP FILE PHOTO     MAJORITY of boxing fans worldwide want to see a fifth fight between former pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao and Mexican legend Juan Manuel Marquez this year according to a... Read more

HUEY, PARTNER BRACE FOR MELBOURNE

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Sports News   |  Hits:41
By : EMIL C. NOGUERA

Longtime partners Filipino Treat Conrad Huey and British Dominic Inglot will begin their campaign today in the men’s doubles of the prestigious 2013 Australian Open in Melbourne. Read more

4 Pinoys stay unscathed in PSC chess tilt

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Sports News   |  Hits:55
By : EMIL C. NOGUERA

Four Filipinos stayed unbeaten after three rounds in the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) Cup International Chess Championships being held at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium in Adria-tico, Manila. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC