
| Novak Djokovic of Serbia gestures after defeating Tommy Haas of Germany in their twelfth session men’s singles match on day seven of the Hopman Cup tennis tournament in Perth. AFP PHOTO |
PERTH, Australia: World No.1 Novak Djokovic is under no illusion as to the enormity of the task he faces in winning a third successive Australian Open.
Speaking after bouncing back to his very best by thrashing German veteran Tommy Haas at the mixed teams Hopman Cup on Friday (Saturday in Manila), Djokovic said he was on track for his Australian Open title defence.
The 6-2, 6-0 win over the 21st-ranked Haas followed a disappointing straight sets loss to 20-year-old Australian Bernard Tomic on Wednesday, the Serbian’s first defeat on Australian soil since 2010.
Djokovic, who opened the year by winning in Abu Dhabi before a late arrival at the Hopman Cup, said he was feeling much fresher after a few more days in Australia and where he wanted to be heading into the year’s first Grand Slam.
While his great rival Rafael Nadal, who he beat in an epic five-set final that lasted nearly six hours in Melbourne last year, won’t be there because of illness, Djokovic said that didn’t make his task any easier.
He pointed to Andy Murray’s breakthrough victory at the US Open as evidence of the mounting depth in men’s tennis.
“It is a huge challenge,” he said of his quest for three successive Australian Opens.
“I like the hard court, I like the conditions and I am going to go for the trophy.
“I have high ambitions for myself, but I am absolutely aware it is going to be very difficult, because today’s men’s tennis is very competitive and Andy Murray winning his first Grand Slam title last year also got him to this group of players that are serious candidates to win the Australian Open.”
He lamented the absence of Nadal, describing it as sad, and dismissed any concerns over his shock loss to Tomic.
“I felt drastically better than in the first few days here, I’ve had a few more hours of practice, rest and sleep and got used to the conditions here,” he said.
“Right now, I believe I am where I need to be [for the Australian Open].
“Not 100 percent physically, but I am getting there and we are still working on some things in particular that will make me feel 100 percent for Melbourne in 10 days.”
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:92
By : AFP
This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:95
By : JOSEF T. RAMOS
INTERNATIONAL Boxing Federation (IBF) light flyweight champion Johnriel Casimero will defend his title against mandatory challenger Panamanian Luis Alberto “Pan Blanco” Rios on March 16, in Panama. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:122
By : JOSEF T. RAMOS
Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez. AFP FILE PHOTO MAJORITY of boxing fans worldwide want to see a fifth fight between former pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao and Mexican legend Juan Manuel Marquez this year according to a... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:41
By : EMIL C. NOGUERA
Longtime partners Filipino Treat Conrad Huey and British Dominic Inglot will begin their campaign today in the men’s doubles of the prestigious 2013 Australian Open in Melbourne. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:55
By : EMIL C. NOGUERA
Four Filipinos stayed unbeaten after three rounds in the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) Cup International Chess Championships being held at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium in Adria-tico, Manila. Read more