checkmate

‘Ahas’ Nietes readies vs. Fuentes

WORLD Boxing Organization (WBO) light flyweight champion Donnie “Ahas” Nietes expressed his readiness to defend his title against WBO strawweight titleholder Moses Fuentes of Mexico most likely in February or in March.



Nietes, 30, told The Manila Times that he is preparing very well since last year after learning that he would fight against the tall and young fighter Fuentes, 27, who has 16-1 card with eight KOs.

“He [Fuentes] has the moves and the skills. At the same time, he is tall,” said Nietes, who currently trains in Cebu. “But I’m not worried. I will give my best to successfully defend my title.”

Nietes, who successfully defended his crown against Danai Meendaeng of Thailand via fifth round technical knockout in November, said he has no plan of moving up to the flyweight class if ever he defeated Fuentes.

“There are so many Filipinos there in the flyweight division,” said Nietes, referring to his compatriots WBO flyweight champ Brian Viloria, Milan Melindo and Froilan Saludar. “I’m fine here.”

Nietes holds a 31-1-3 win-loss-draw slate with 17 knockouts.

“A champion has to fight the best,” Fuentes, who ended the career of Ivan Calderon in October with a fifth round knockout told RingTV.com reporter Ryan Songalia.

“The winner will be whoever had the best preparation for the fight, Donnie Nietes or Moises Fuentes. It’s not Philippines versus Mexico, it’s just him and me,” he added.

Top Sports News

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Sports News   |  Hits:92
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Casimero to defend title in Panama

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Sports News   |  Hits:95
By : JOSEF T. RAMOS

INTERNATIONAL Boxing Federation (IBF) light flyweight champion Johnriel Casimero will defend his title against mandatory challenger Panamanian Luis Alberto “Pan Blanco” Rios on March 16, in Panama. Read more

Fans want Pacquiao-Marquez 5 this year

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Sports News   |  Hits:120
By : JOSEF T. RAMOS

Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez. AFP FILE PHOTO     MAJORITY of boxing fans worldwide want to see a fifth fight between former pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao and Mexican legend Juan Manuel Marquez this year according to a... Read more

HUEY, PARTNER BRACE FOR MELBOURNE

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Sports News   |  Hits:41
By : EMIL C. NOGUERA

Longtime partners Filipino Treat Conrad Huey and British Dominic Inglot will begin their campaign today in the men’s doubles of the prestigious 2013 Australian Open in Melbourne. Read more

4 Pinoys stay unscathed in PSC chess tilt

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Sports News   |  Hits:55
By : EMIL C. NOGUERA

Four Filipinos stayed unbeaten after three rounds in the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) Cup International Chess Championships being held at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium in Adria-tico, Manila. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC