checkmate

Armstrong ‘plans to admit doping’ in Oprah interview

Lance Armstrong AFP FILE PHOTO



LOS ANGELES: Lance Armstrong plans to admit to doping for the first time in an interview with Oprah Winfrey that will be taped on Monday at the disgraced cyclist’s home in Austin, Texas, USA Today reported.


In an article posted on its website on Friday, USA Today cited “a person with knowledge of the situation” as saying that Armstrong plans to admit to doping throughout his career, but that he probably will not go into great detail about specific cases and events.

The announcement that Armstrong had agreed to an interview, to air on Winfrey’s OWN cable TV network on Thursday, sparked widespread speculation that he might finally confess to being a drug cheat after years of strenuous denials.

It will be Armstrong’s first interview since he was stripped in October of his seven Tour de France titles after the US Anti-Doping Agency (Usada) said that he helped orches-trate the most sophisticated doping program in sports history.

Nicole Nichols of Winfrey’s OWN network said on Wednesday “no question is off-limits” in the interview, for which Armstrong will not receive any payment.

Last week, The New York Times reported that Armstrong, 41, was considering publicly admitting that he used banned performance-enhancing drugs in an apparent bid to return to competitive sport in marathons and triathlons.

On her Twitter feed Tuesday, Winfrey said: “Looking forward to this conversation with @lancearmstrong.”

Armstrong retweeted that message on his own Twitter account.

Not everyone is convinced that such an interview is the proper venue for Armstrong to address the charges against him.

“Only Lance would get to have his moment of truth, if that’s what it will be, in front of Oprah Winfrey,” said British cyclist David Millar, who served a two-year ban after admitting doping in 2004 and is now a member of the athletes’ commission for the World Anti-Doping Agency.

“It is not sitting in front of a judge or a disciplinary hearing being properly questioned about the things he has done wrong.”

Any confession by Armstrong could have legal or financial ramifications.

Since the International Cycling Union effectively erased him from the sport’s record books, British newspaper The Sunday Times has already sued Armstrong for more than £1 million ($1.6 million) over a libel payment made to him in 2006.

The newspaper paid Armstrong £300,000 to settle a libel case after publishing a story suggest-ing he may have cheated and now wants that money plus interest and legal costs repaid.

A Texas insurance company has also threatened legal action to recoup millions of dollars in bonuses that it paid to him for multiple Tour victories.

His years of dominance in the sport’s greatest race raised cycling’s profile in the United States to new heights and gave Armstrong, a cancer survivor, a unique platform to promote cancer awareness and research.

The Lance Armstrong Foundation has raised almost $500 million since its creation in 1997.

In the wake of the allegations, several top sponsors dropped Armstrong and on the November 14 his name was dropped from the charity he founded, which is now known as the Livestrong Foundation.  

Top Sports News

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Sports News   |  Hits:92
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Casimero to defend title in Panama

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Sports News   |  Hits:95
By : JOSEF T. RAMOS

INTERNATIONAL Boxing Federation (IBF) light flyweight champion Johnriel Casimero will defend his title against mandatory challenger Panamanian Luis Alberto “Pan Blanco” Rios on March 16, in Panama. Read more

Fans want Pacquiao-Marquez 5 this year

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Sports News   |  Hits:120
By : JOSEF T. RAMOS

Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez. AFP FILE PHOTO     MAJORITY of boxing fans worldwide want to see a fifth fight between former pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao and Mexican legend Juan Manuel Marquez this year according to a... Read more

HUEY, PARTNER BRACE FOR MELBOURNE

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Sports News   |  Hits:41
By : EMIL C. NOGUERA

Longtime partners Filipino Treat Conrad Huey and British Dominic Inglot will begin their campaign today in the men’s doubles of the prestigious 2013 Australian Open in Melbourne. Read more

4 Pinoys stay unscathed in PSC chess tilt

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Sports News   |  Hits:54
By : EMIL C. NOGUERA

Four Filipinos stayed unbeaten after three rounds in the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) Cup International Chess Championships being held at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium in Adria-tico, Manila. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC