• Injured Hanjin worker needs help


    SUBIC, Zambales: A worker who fell into a manhole while working inside the Korean shipbuilding company located at the Redondo Peninsula here appeared to have been deceived again by his employer, after being asked to sign a quit claim document but allegedly got only a fifth of the money stated in the waiver document.

    Isabelo Mangao, 38, told The Manila Times on Saturday his employer, Glorioso “Jojo” Rocafor, Jr. owner of JR General Services (JGS,) asked him and his wife Ana to go see him and gave them P20,000 as financial assistance to them for the accident that happened to him while working within the premises of Hanjin Heavy Industries Corporation on March 26, 2016.

    Hanjin had described JGS as one of its project contractors.

    “When we met them, he [Rocafor] was with his lawyer and they gave us P20,000 then asked us to sign a document that says we waive, renounce and quit claim whatever cause or causes of action or right of action I have against JGS and its owner involving the accident that happened to me at Hanjin on March 26, 2016,” Mangao said.

    “Also stated in the waiver document was that I was immediately given medical attention and that he shouldered all medical expenses,” he added.

    The document, according to him, also stated that they will be given P100,000 and that no additional monetary liability shall be demanded from them upon signing the waiver.

    The June 23, 2016 dated and duly notarized waiver document, a copy of which was obtained by The Times, also stated Mangao shall further desist from prosecuting said company and its owner in any court of law, criminal or civil in nature, which may arise from the incident.

    Mangao and his wife said they were told the balance for the P100,000 would be given on June 26 but the couple again informed The Times Rocafor had told them he will give the money at the barangay hall so there will be witnesses.

    Mangao earlier claimed he was told by a coordinator of JGS to tell the hospital he had an accident at home and not at the Hanjin work site in exchange for JGS shouldering his hospital expenses.

    He was initially taken to the James L. Gordon Memorial Hospital in Olongapo City after the accident but transferred on March 30 to the Philippine Orthopedic Center in Manila where he was confined until May 24, 2016.

    Mangao however said JGS only paid a fraction of the hospital bill and gave only P20,000 of the P82,000 cost of the metal brace placed in his hip at the Orthopedic Center.

    Mangao now walks with the help of crutches and was told by the hospital he will only be able to walk normally after six months, but could not yet work.

    When Rocafor got wind of the media following the story of the accident, Ana said they received a call from the JGS owner, who allegedly scolded them for talking to journalists.

    After The Times was able to contact Rocafor as well as a Hanjin representative to get their respective sides of the story, Ana sent a text message again to The Times to say she was surprised the JGS owner is now “very nice” in treating and talking to them.



    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    1 Comment

    1. The jgs should be prosecuted. And why hanjin did not know about the accident? Was there no accident report made?