STYLE experts advise: It pays to splurge on certain items that are classic and luxurious.
Here are five to consider from Lisa Robertson, host of QVC’s The Lisa Robertson Show.
• Classic watch: Choose a style that looks strong, makes a statement, is versatile and conveys a powerful status. While a watch can cost as much as a car, you can still get a good one for less than $200.
• Do-it-all handbag: Stiffer, glazed leather or pure, vegetable-dyed leather can be a smarter choice for an investment piece than soft, buttery leather, since it looks better as it breaks in over time, rather than wearing out.
• Power pumps: High-quality, designer shoes have a look of precision that bargain brands lack. They can go with any outfit and last years with good care. Choose black or nude but for an all-season style, don’t go for patent leather.
• Leather jacket: It should have a timeless design and just the right amount of hardware to make it modern but not too edgy. A defined silhouette is important to make the jacket look feminine.
• Star of the show: You’ll want one standout piece to mix with all the neutrals. You can make even the most casual outfit memorable by adding a statement cuff or a wild jacket to the ensemble. Choose something with a special design element; for example, embroidery, beadwork, fringe or a bold color. It can be a go-to wardrobe highlight for years. North American Precis Syndicate