TOKYO: The death toll from landslides and floods in an earthquake-battered region of southern Japan has risen to six, an official said on Wednesday, with all missing now accounted for. A man in his 80s and a 53-year-old woman were confirmed dead after being found Tuesday by rescuers where landslides hit in the southern prefecture of Kumamoto. “We found the last person who had been missing yesterday… the woman was confirmed dead,” Kumamoto official Motoko Takata told Agence France-Presse, adding that thousands of people were still unable to return home. More than 6,000 residents in the area evacuated their homes, including those who had fled to safety after two earthquakes in April. The 6.2-magnitude and 7.0-magnitude tremors were followed by more than 1,700 aftershocks, which broke up the ground in many areas, officials said, leaving them vulnerable to the heavy seasonal rains that hit Japan at this time of year. The tremors left 49 dead and caused widespread damage.