CARS FROM Japanese brands are the best-selling in the Philippines. In the first quarter of the year, the Toyota Vios subcompact (consecutive leader for seven years), the Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV and the Toyota Fortuner sport-ute topped the list.
1. The third-generation Toyota Vios dominated the first quarter of 2014.
Like the previous generation, the latest Vios has been the best-selling car in the Philippines since its launch, and has helped Toyota Motor Phils. (TMP) reach new sales records.
For the first three months of the year, the Vios sold 7,798 units. It is one of few models assembled in the Philippines, built at TMP’s plant in Santa Rosa, Laguna.
2. The Mitsubishi Montero Sport ruled the country’s SUV segment.
It sold 5,746 units in the first quarter. A midsize sport-utility vehicle, it is produced since 1996, spanning two generations (1996 to 2008 and 2008 to present). It is sold by Mitsubishi Motors Phils. Corp., the longest-staying automotive company in the country.
3. The Toyota Innova consistently finished with strong sales. This year, it had a steady start with 4,786 units sold. A compact MPV, it was introduced in the Philippines in 2005. Together with the Vios, the Innova is assembled in Santa Rosa, Laguna.
4. The Mitsubishi L300 FB Deluxe Cab Chassis has proven to be a worthy contender with 2,669 units sold so far in the first quarter of 2014. Although it was aimed to provide a workhorse vehicle for business, it evolved into a passenger transport, a cargo vehicle and more. Filipinos use it for startup to medium-scale businesses.
5. The Mitsubishi Mirage G4 attracted 2,144 buyers in the first quarter of 2014. The sedan version of the Mirage hatchback, the G4 is fuel-efficient and eco-friendly while providing power, a roomy cabin and a spacious trunk.
6. The top pickup model on the list, the Ford Ranger has attracted 2,100 buyers this early. It has a powerful engine, relevant design and advanced technological features, taking the one-ton pickup class to a new level.
7. The Honda City is Honda’s top seller, with more than 50 percent of the Japanese brand’s sales coming from this model. It is expected to boost sales even further. For now, it has sold over 2,000 units in the first quarter. The new model, launched in April, has received more than 2,500 reservations .
8. One of the last AUV models, the Isuzu Crosswind made it into the list. It has sold 1,810 units in the first part of the year. With this model, you can expect nothing short of a worry-free drive. This AUV is manufactured by the Isuzu Phils. Corp. (IPC) at its plant in Binan, Laguna.
9. The Isuzu D-Max has found at least 1,292 buyers in the first quarter of 2014. It is presently IPC’s best-selling model.
A midsize SUV, the Ford Everest landed on number 10 with 1,067 units sold early this year. Considered the best performer on a year-to-date basis, the Everest is Ford Motor Co.’s sport-ute model for Asian markets .