Johnny Manziel said he still is focused on preparing to be in the NFL this year, even after another tumultuous day for the troubled former Cleveland Browns quarterback.
“I’m hoping to take care of the issues in front of me right now so I can focus on what I have to do if I want to play in 2016,” Manziel said in a statement provided to USA TODAY Sports. “I also continue to be thankful to those who really know me and support me.”
Agent Drew Rosenhaus dropped Manziel as a client Tuesday, according to an ESPN report. Rosenhaus said last week that he would drop Manziel if the former Heisman Trophy winner and Texas A&M standout didn’t take “immediate steps,” which included getting treatment, to right himself.
Nike also confirmed it no longer endorsed Manziel, Nike spokesman Brian Strong told USA TODAY Sports in an email. ESPN was the first to report Tuesday that the sponsorship relationship was terminated after last season.
Also Tuesday, the Dallas County District Attorney’s office announced it would present his assault case to a grand jury Thursday. Manziel faces up to a year in jail and a $4,000 fine if the grand jury chooses to indict him on the misdemeanor assault charge, which stems from allegations made by his ex-girlfriend.
“So many people only have one image of Jonathan but, believe it or not, he takes all this very seriously,” said Denise Michaels, Manziel’s spokesperson. “He’s hoping that he can clear up his personal issues, start interviewing agents and see what he needs to do if he wants to play this year.”