Journalist gunned down in Quiapo

1

A Manila-based reporter and columnist was gunned down by an unidentified assailant on Friday night in Quiapo, Manila.

Alex Balcoba, a director of the Manila Police District Press Corps (MPDPC), was shot in the back of the head in front of his small store.

He is survived by his wife, Flor and three children.

Balcoba was a former reporter of newspapers Bandera and Tumbok. He was also a regular columnist of People’s Brigada.


Mer Layson, a reporter of Pilipino Star Ngayon, said the killing could be work related.

“Alex was into the business of selling clothes and mineral water especially during the feast of the Black Nazarene. He is an expert watch repairman. However, he is a hard-hitting journalist. Once there were complaints and he was able to validate them, he would write about them regardless of who would be hit,” Layson said.

Officers and members of the MPDPC called on authorities to solve the slaying and arrest the gunman.

In November last year, a lone gunman shot dead Jose Bernardo, a radio dwIZ correspondent and columnist of tabloid Bandera Pilipino, in front of a restaurant in Barangay Kaligayahan, Quezon City. He was the 32nd journalist to be killed during the term of President Benigno Aquino 3rd assured the public that authorities are working for the speedy identification of his killers.

Malacañang condemned the killing of Balcoba.

Presidential Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said the police is investigating the incident.

Share.
.
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

1 Comment

  1. Taga Palm Springs on

    Journalists must be aware that their lives are in danger everyday! They need to exercise precaution and safety and their security cannot be compromised! Must pray and ask God to protect them always as they do their work daily!