Incoming Education Secretary Leonor Briones on Monday said that she favors the implementation of the K-to-12 program despite some concerns raised such as the need for additional funds.
“The question we have to raise is which is more harmful, to stop it at this time, to continue it at this time, or to continue it when we have determined the deficiencies,” Briones said.
She noted that with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) integration, having a 12-year basic education is crucial for the Philippines.
“A PhD from the Philippines tends to be counted lower in rank versus a PhD from an ASEAN country with 12 years basic education,” she said.
Briones said there are two major concerns in the K-to-12 program – the need for more funding for Senior High School and the displacement of teachers.
“Funding will be a challenge. There was underspending but we heard much of these funds had been released, not yet spent,” she said.
“Many schools have been preparing for these challenges for four years. We are aware that the contingency measures are being adopted by both the Commission on Higher Education and DepEd. These have to be closely monitored to ensure that identified challenges are met,” she added.
According to Briones, institutional and curricular changes are already being implemented in response to the law mandating K-to-12.
“What can be done by the incoming administration at this time is to monitor closely the implementation of Grade 11 starting June 13. We have been receiving feedback on K-to-12 which we will pass on to the present leadership of the Department of Education,” she said.
She added that in the meantime, a Transition Team is being organized to ensure orderly and seamless transfer of duties.
“The DepEd under the leadership of Secretary Armin Luistro is giving full cooperation and support to the incoming team,” she said.