Kidnapped Filipino worker beheaded in Libya

0

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Monday warned that foreigners are now “high-value targets” in Libya after a Filipino there was beheaded allegedly for being a non-Muslim.

Advertisements

“High-value targets [now are]foreigners, especially non-Muslims. [Not only] Filipinos,” Charles Jose, Foreign Affairs spokesman, said in a news briefing.

He confirmed that the Filipino, who was working in a construction company in Libya, was kidnapped on July 15 and beheaded later.|

The Filipino was allegedly traveling with his co-workers, a Libyan and a Pakistani, when they were stopped at a checkpoint in Benghazi guarded by a militia group.

“He was singled out because he was a non-Muslim,” Jose said, adding that the company where the Filipino was working learned of his beheading on July 20.

At the time, the company was negotiating with the militia group for a possible $160,000 ransom.

Jose said the Filipino has been identified and his relatives were already notified of his death.

Over the weekend, the department once again raised alert level 4 in Libya and urged all Filipinos there to leave.

So far, 200 Filipinos have expressed desire to be repatriated from Libya.

Share.
loading...
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

Comments are closed.