• Kidnapping in 1st half of 2017 made
    by individuals, not terrorists–PNP

    0
    THE Philippine National Police (PNP) recorded a minimal number of kidnapping incidents in the first half of 2017 and most of them were initiated by individuals, not terrorists, an official said Thursday.

    Superintendent Abelardo Borromeo, spokesman for the PNP Anti-Kidnapping Group (AKG), said in a news conference that from January to June, only nine kidnapping incidents have been recorded by the police unit.

    These cases, according to Borromeo, were all kidnap-for-ransom perpetrated by individuals only and not terrorist groups.

    “Every case we solved in the first four or five months of this year, it is all perpetrated by other individuals involved with kidnap for ransom. Like the one in Camarines Sur that happened in December or late part of November last year, we also have in Bulacan and Isabela,” he told reporters.

    In 2012, the AKG has recorded 26 kidnapping incidents; 49 for the year 2014; 38 for 2015; and 29 for 2016. In 2013, a total of 52 incidents were recorded, marking that year as having the highest number of kidnapping cases in the country.

    Borromeo said the groups involved are  “simple criminal groups who are motivated by money”.

    He also clarified that the victims were not released for paying the amount of ransom, but were freed since authorities were able to retrieve the victims during its operations.

    The highest ransom asked for the nine cases was $2 million but Borromeo reiterated it was not paid since no “proof of life” was shown.

    “An operation of [a kidnapping]group transcends the boundaries of provinces or regions, they have resources that are extraordinary and have connection with almost all department agencies including the law enforcement and the military,” said Borromeo.

    Share.
    loading...
    Loading...

    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    Comments are closed.