THE Philippine Health Insurance Co. (PhilHealth) on Friday said that family members of the 44 Philippine National Police-Special Action Force (PNP-SAF) commandos killed in Maguindanao will be given health services as part of the government’s aid package.
Alexander Padilla, PhilHealth president and chief executive officer, told The Manila Times that the agency is now finalizing the process to extend health benefits to the qualified dependents of the slain policemen.
“We are finishing our process to give their families health benefits, especially for children below 21 years old, their lawful spouse and their parents, without paying any premium,” Padilla said.
Padilla, however, clarified that dependent children who are 21 years old and above, or if they marry earlier, are not covered.
“For the wife, it would be a lifetime benefit, except when she remarries. For the parents, we shall cover those below 60 years old, and if they are 60 they are covered through senior citizens benefits,” the PhilHealth chief explained.
Last year, President Benigno Aquino 3rd signed into law a measure granting automatic, lifetime membership of senior citizens to PhilHealth.
Under RA 10645 or “An Act Providing for the Mandatory PhilHealth Coverage for All Senior Citizens,” all citizens who are 60 years old and above will receive the benefits and discounts extended to ordinary PhilHealth members by just presenting a valid ID that proves their age.
The PhilHealth chief said that the agency will also offer the same benefits to the wounded SAF commandos.
Padilla earlier said that the government will fully subsidize the premium contributions of the returning 11,000 members of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front fighters as part of the peace process.
The government, he said, will spend more than P26 million to provide health insurance coverage for the Bangsamoro fighters, including their family members. –