Manny Pacquiao’s adviser Mike Koncz believes that unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. is sincere in making
the mega bout between him and Pacman happen on May 2 at the MGM Grand
in Las Vegas, Nevada.
“The way I see it, nobody can stop this fight. I can’t stop it. Bob [Arum] can’t stop it. HBO can’t stop it. Showtime can’t stop it. Al Haymon can’t stop it,” Koncz told The Manila Times on Friday in a phone interview.
Pacquiao and Koncz met Mayweather in person on Tuesday at the NBA game between Miami and Milwaukee. Koncz said that Mayweather even went to Pacquiao’s hotel room in Miami to talk with the Filipino ring icon.
“It’s only Pacquiao and Mayweather who can prevent this fight, and right now they really wanted to fight each other,” he added. “Mayweather is very sincere in his approach to Manny. They had a very good conversation, very productive and that’s why I’m very optimistic.”
Koncz previously accompanied Pacquiao and wife Jinkee to London to visit Prince Harry of Wales before the eight weight division world titleholder served as one of the judges in the recent Miss Universe pageant.
“Aside from those trips, we are going to Washington DC on Tuesday to meet US President Barack Obama during National Prayer Breakfast on February 5,” added Koncz. “Manny will return to Manila on February 6, I guess.”
Koncz also denied reports that Mayweather confronted them during the NBA game and asked them to “stop lying.”
“They just misinterpreted everything. It didn’t happen. Floyd and Manny talked nicely during the game and then at the hotel,” he said.
Koncz added that both fighters have discussed and agreed in principle on the details of the fight.
“Floyd wants to make the announcement first, but I don’t know when,” said Koncz. “We are just going to wait.”
If no announcement is made on January 31, the two camps might make the declaration during the Super Bowl on February 1.