Lava flow threatens two Legazpi channels

0

LEGAZPI CITY: The lava dome that splintered 100 meters below from the old lava dome and tumbled down in the western side of the volcano on Monday is threatening Bonga and Mabinit channels in Legazpi as well as Miisi in Daraga town, Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said on Monday.

“The old lava dome is intact and concave looking but a dome configuration 100 meters below from the old one tumbled towards the western side of the southeastern portion which could threatens Bonga and Mabinit in Legazpi and Miisi in Daraga,” Phivolcs senior resident volcanologist Ed Laguerta told The Manila Times.

Though Mayon ejected fresh lava flow for the third time on Monday, Laguerta said the lull episode since alert level 3 was raised in September 15 is the longest respite interval behavior so far in the history of the volcano’s restiveness.

“This is the longer lull episode in the history of Mayon Volcano restiveness. We don’t know when the volcano is going to a full-blown eruption but what we are certain is that the volcano is restless and it might erupt,” he said.


Phivolcs led by Laguerta, Albay Public Safety Emergency and Management Office (Apsemo) chief Cedric Daep and the Tactical Operations Group 5 of the Philippine Air Force conducted an aerial survey on Monday morning and saw the collapsed crater expanded since the occurrence of fresh lava flow on Sunday.

Following the new episode of lava flow, Laguerta said that another round of survey will be done by geodetic and geologist scientists to assess the new parameters of Mayon.

The upcoming Phivolcs study will also delineate villages from six to eight kilometers danger zone which means that more villages will be declared no man’s land.

Daep said a request has been made to the office of Phivolcs Director Renato Solidum to conduct survey to delineate the villages in six to expanded eight kilometers danger zone to permanently remove the people living in danger zone here.

Albay Gov. Joey Salceda earlier said that the government needs P3.6 billion to totally relocate the people in no man’s land area so that the provincial government will no longer resort to palliative solution or evacuating the residents in danger zone to safer grounds once the volcano becomes restive.

At least 12,757 families or 57,000 people are now housed in 49 temporary evacuation camps in the towns of Guinobatan, Camalig, Daraga, Sto. Domingo, Malilipot and the cities of Ligao and Tabaco since September 15.

Currently the volcano’s seismic network recorded two volcanic earthquakes during the past 24-hour observation period.

Share.
.
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

Comments are closed.