Lawyers’ group behind ‘baseless’ bid to impeach Binay

0

Vice President Jejomar Binay has described a plunder complaint filed against him as devoid of factual basis and connected to the 2016 presidential elections where he is widely seen as the frontrunner.

Advertisements

The Vice President also revealed that the complainants, all local political opponents of the Binays, are backed by a known group of lawyers that has been trying to resurrect dismissed cases against him.

In a speech before the Financial Executives of the Philippines and the Management Association of the Philippines on Wednesday, Binay said the complainants routinely raise non-existent issues against his family during election season.

“This [plunder]complaint is no exception, although we have been informed that this time around, our local opponents have been provided with the needed resources, financial and otherwise, by certain national interest groups, particularly a group of lawyers closely identified with a national personality,” he added.

The Vice President said the group—which he did not identify—“has been trying in vain” to revive the cases against him that had been resolved by the courts.

Binay added that he expects more complaints and issues to be raised against him in the coming months.

“Believe me, this is only the beginning. We expect more to come. And like the one filed [on Tuesday], these complaints will be devoid of facts, devoid of legal basis and fueled by the dirty politics that was supposed to have been swept away with the previous administration,” he said.

The Vice President expressed confidence that the plunder complaint will be dismissed.

Meanwhile, according to him, he will continue focusing on his work in the government.

“In a fair and impartial evaluation, this complaint, and all the others that we know for a fact are in the pipeline, will be dismissed. Nonetheless my commitment to advance the interest of our overseas Filipino workers [OFWs], provide shelter for the poor and assist our fellow Filipinos in need will remain undiminished by these false and politically motivated accusations,” he said.

Binay is the chairman of the Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council and the Presidential Adviser for OFW Concerns.

The Vice President said those behind the plunder complaint intend to divide him and President Benigno Aquino 3rd by spreading the word that the complaint was a Malacañang move.

“And it appears that there is a deeper agenda at play. We have been told that those who are pulling the strings want to sow intrigue between President Aquino and myself. They want me to think that the Palace is orchestrating the filing of this baseless complaint against me and my son [Makati City Mayor Junjun Binay] to divert attention from the impeachment complaints filed against the President,” he noted.

Two valid impeachment complaints against Aquino were filed early this week.

The Vice President pointed out that the complainants zeroed in only on his allies in Makati and dropped the names of their allies who attended City Council sessions.

“They only included the names of our allies. But their allies and partymates were part of the city council and were present when the council approved the ordinances they cited, so why exclude them? Your guess is as good as mine but that, for me, is undeniable proof of the selective, frivolous and political nature of this co-called complaint,” he said.

Share.
loading...
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

Comments are closed.