Did the government cry wolf too soon?
The Department of Energy (DOE) on Thursday said the power supply in Luzon remains stable and that there will be no brownout in the next four weeks.
Energy Secretary Carlos Jericho Petilla admitted that his projection of a shortfall of 800 megawatt (MW) this month did not happen because there is sufficient supply. He attributed this to lower power demand and the reliability of power plants in the Luzon grid.
“In a sense, if we keep the demand in that level, I think we will survive this summer,” Petilla told reporters.
He said power plants in the Luzon grid have been performing at top form.
“So far, we have a lot of power supply because there is no power plant that shut down,” he said.
He also cited the cooperation of the public in the agency’s campaign for energy conservation.
“They are now testing the 25 degrees and the children are the ones heeding our calls,” he said, referring to the DOE’s advise to turn the thermostat of air conditioning units to 25 degrees.
“I am confident that we could survive this summer because of the cooperation of everybody,” Petilla said.
The DOE, he noted, will continue to monitor the power outlook because there could be an abrupt change in the weather.
“We will not relax because we don’t really know what will be our weather condition, if the temperature will soar so the demand will increase,” he said.