THE Makati court, which has jurisdiction over businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles, may not block her appearance before a Senate investigation into the alleged misuse of the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) known as pork barrel of some lawmakers.
According to Makati RTC Branch 150 Clerk of Court Josefa Valencia, the Senate inquiry into the pork barrel fund scam is not in any way related to the case against Napoles being heard by Judge Elmo Alameda.
She expressed belief that Napoles’ appearance in the Senate probe will not prejudice her serious illegal detention case filed against her by whistleblower Benjur Luy pending before the court.
“The pork barrel fund probe of the Senate is different from the serious illegal detention of Mrs. Napoles being heard by the court, so I think her testimony in the Upper Chamber will not be prejudicial to her case,” she told The Manila Times in an interview.
However, Valencia said Judge Alameda will still weigh all possibilities and the justification of the Senate in issuing a subpoena for Napoles.
“All matters and issues will be considered and will be weighed bythe judge before he issued a court order,” she added.
She stressed that as a courtesy, the Senate should still ask for the permission from the court in calling for Napoles.
“That is a matter of courtesy, the court has jurisdiction over Napoles so it is but just proper to ask for a court order,” she added.
Senate President Franklin Drilon has already signed a subpoena for Napoles to appear in the Senate pork barrel scam probe.
Sen. Teofisto Guingona 3rd, who is the chairman of the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee that probes the pork barrel scam, said Napoles is directed to appear on November 7.
Napoles is now detained at Fort Sto. Domingo, in Sta. Rosa, Laguna after the Makati RTC issued a warrant of arrest for her serious illegal detention case.
Meanwhile, the Philippine National Police (PNP) on Monday said that it had already received a copy of subpoena issued by the Senate Blue Ribbon for Napoles.
Senior Supt. Reuben Theodore Sindac, PNP Public Information chief, said that the subpoena for Napoles was received by personnel of the PNP-SAF who are acting as the custodian of the businesswoman.
The PNP official said that they are now preparing the necessary security preparation for Napoles’s scheduled appearance with the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee on the first week of November.
Napoles, who is facing plunder charges and serious illegal detention charges before the courts is presently detained at Fort Sto. Domingo, a training facility of the PNP Special Action Force (SAF) in Sta. Rosa, Laguna. RITCHIE A. HORARIO AND ANTHONY VARGAS