DESPITE the absence of the court’s final ruling, the Makati City government has started occupying a barangay in the disputed Fort Bonifacio.
Mayor Jejomar Erwin Binay of Makati City on Monday said the city has earmarked P50 million as initial budget for the repair and rehabilitation of roads in barangay Southside.
But Mayor Lani Cayetano of Taguig City said Binay is just sowing tension and confusion in Fort Bonifacio.
“So let’s all be responsible and not confuse the residents and business community and sow tension amongst our own people. Let’s be responsible enough to take care of our constituents and their safety,” Cayetano said.
She maintained that the execution of the Court of Appeals decision to award the jurisdiction over Fort Bonifacio to Makati stays as Taguig filed its Motion for Reconsideration (MR) last week.
“With the filing of MR, we again would like to clarify that status quo prevails in Fort Bonifacio,” Cayetano said.
She also assured her constituents in the area, including the business community in Bonifacio Global City, that the local government is on top of the situation.
Binay said Makati intends to carry out its pledge of better public service to inner Fort, Southside and Northside residents.
He added that the villages “suffered 20 years of neglect” after a court injunction in 1994 prevented Makati from exercising jurisdiction over them.
“We stand by our pledge to correct the 20-year injustice. We will focus on the prompt delivery of basic services to the residents of Barangay Southside and Northside, including the implementation of infrastructural projects to improve their quality of life,” Binay said.
The Makati Department of Engineering and Public Works said the project was supposed to cover nine streets in Barangay Southside only seven have been surveyed after Taguig Bantay Bayan stopped their teams from completing the survey on August 15.
The streets covered by the concreting and drainage project are Scorpion Street (477 meters), Garden Lloyd Street (196 meters), Fox Street (615 meters), Striker Street (187 meters), Crusader Street (148 meters), Centurion Street (202 meters) and Apag Street (262 meters).
Binay earlier decried the actions of armed men identified as Taguig Public Order and Safety Office members who recently ganged up on a Makati police patrol car at the intersection of Lawton Street and Kalayaan, and removed the banners posted along Kalayaan—both areas within Makati territory.
But Cayetano lamented Makati’s efforts to create tension when the latter sent its traffic arm MAPSA to the disputed territory apparently to make its presence felt in the area which is still under Taguig’s jurisdiction.
“Such actions are irresponsible, unprofessional, and unproductive as they only create tension between employees of the two local governments. Let’s be more mindful of the safety of our people,” she pointed out.