Makati starts occupying a barangay in Fort Bonifacio

0

DESPITE the absence of the court’s final ruling, the Makati City government has started occupying a barangay in the disputed Fort Bonifacio.

Mayor Jejomar Erwin Binay of Makati on Monday said that the city is set to repair and rehabilitate roads in barangay Southside by earmarking an initial budget allocation of P50 million.

But Mayor Lani Cayetano of Taguig City said that Binay is just sowing tension and confusion in Fort Bonifacio.

“So let’s all be responsible and not confuse the residents and business community and sow tension amongst our own people. Let’s be responsible enough to take care of our constituents and their safety,” Cayetano said.


She maintained that the execution of the Court of Appeals’ (CA) decision to award the jurisdiction over Fort Bonifacio to Makati stays as Taguig filed its Motion for Reconsideration (MR) filed last week.

“With the filing of MR, we again would like to clarify that status quo prevails in Fort Bonifacio,” Cayetano said.

She also assured her constituents in the area, including the business community in Bonifacio Global City, that the local government is on top of the situation.

Binay said the city government intends to carry out its pledge of better public service to the residents of barangays in the inner Fort, Southside and Northside.

He added, these barangays “suffered 20 years of neglect” after a court injunction in 1994 prevented Makati from exercising jurisdiction over them.

“We stand by our pledge to correct the 20-year injustice.  We will focus on the prompt delivery of basic services to the residents of Barangays Southside and Northside, including the implementation of infrastructural projects to improve their quality of life,” Binay said.

According to the Makati Department of Engineering and Public Works (DEPW), the project was supposed to cover nine streets in the said barangay but they were only able to survey seven because Taguig Bantay Bayan stopped their teams from completing the survey on August 15.

The streets that will be covered by the concreting and drainage project are Scorpion St. (477 meters), Garden Lloyd St. (196 meters), Fox St. (615 meters), Striker St. (187 meters), Crusader St. (148 meters), Centurion St. (202 meters) and Apag St. (262 meters).

Binay earlier decried the actions of armed men identified as members of the Taguig Public Order and Safety Office (POSO) who recently ganged up on a Makati police mobile patrol car at the intersection of Lawton St. and Kalayaan, and removed banners posted along Kalayaan, despite the fact that both areas were within Makati territory.

But Cayetano lamented Makati’s efforts to create tension when the latter sent its traffic arm MAPSA to the disputed territory apparently to make its presence felt in the area which is still under Taguig’s jurisdiction.

“Such actions are irresponsible, unprofessional, and unproductive as they only create tension between employees of the two local governments. Let’s be more mindful of the safety of our people,” she pointed out. RITCHIE A. HORARIO

Share.
.
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

Comments are closed.