MALACAÑANG has ordered a quick inventory of all projects funded under the controversial Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP) to determine how much supplemental budget it would ask from Congress.
The directive to all government agencies that benefited from the DAP came a day after President Benigno Aquino 3rd told members of the legislature that he will ask for additional funds in deference to the Supreme Court (SC) decision declaring some parts of the program as unconstitutional.
In his fifth State of the Nation Address on Monday, Aquino underscored the need to allocate supplemental funds to see the completion of other projects funded by the controversial program.
“We are still doing an inventory of the status of the projects. Most have actually been completed and the rest are in varying stages of implementation,” Budget Secretary Florencio Abad said in a text message to The Manila Times.
“We have directed the agencies to report ASAP [as soon as possible],” he added.
Last week, the Budget chief presented before the Senate a more detailed list of disbursements made under the program from 2011 up to late 2013.
Under tight questioning by some senators, particularly Senators Nancy Binay and Grace Poe, however, Abad was not able explain fully where some of the funds actually went.
The list initially presented by Abad indicated that from the P167 billion proposed funding for the DAP, only P144 billion has been released, leaving a balance of P13.6 billion.
The DAP came in six stages beginning in 2011 and were all approved by the Office of the President.
A report from the Budget department said the first DAP was approved on October 12, 2011; second, on December 21, 2011; third, on June 27, 2012; fourth, on September 5, 2012; fifth, on December 21, 2012; and sixth, on June 14, 2013.