Law enforcement agents have intensified their hunt for Nelson Bermejo Antonio, 44, who is suspected of killing his businessman-father Antonio Pabalan Antonio in a fit of rage inside their house in Las Piñas City on September 11 last year.
On Sunday, agents of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) and the Police Regional Office 4-A joined their counterparts from the National Capital Region Police Office, the Philippine National Police Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG), the PNP Intelligence Group and the PNP Task Force Tugis in tracking down the younger Antonio, who repeatedly shot his father while the latter was pleading for his life.
“We are following-up some information regarding Nelson Antonio’s location,” said a police official involved in the manhunt.
Different informants claimed that they have seen the younger Antonio in some parts of Batangas, Oriental Mindoro, Parañaque City and Las Piñas. An informant said that the suspect could be planning to go to Panay Island when he was reportedly spotted in a Mindoro Oriental port.
The bits of information started arriving one after the other shortly after friends and supporters of the slain businessman offered a P300,000 cash reward for any information that would lead to the arrest of Nelson who has been ordered arrested without bail by a Parañaque City judge.
Law enforcement officers have been told to be cautious in dealing with the suspect once they spot him. “He is considered armed and dangerous and we have asked our men to exercise all necessary precaution in confronting him in case they finally track him down,” said Sr. Supt. Albert Ignatius Ferro, the head of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Unit (CIDU) of the PNP-CIDG.
Judge Rolando How of the Parañaque City Regional Trial Court Branch 257 issued the warrant for the arrest of the suspect with no bail recommended.
Nelson is charged with parricide for the killing of his father following a heated argument inside the house of the latter at No. 118 Concha Cruz Drive in BF Executive Homes in Las Piñas City on September 11 last year.
An investigation conducted by the Las Piñas City Police Station revealed that the suspect shot his father at the height of their heated argument over a robbery incident at the Antonio patriarch’s house two days earlier. The victim reportedly accused the suspect of masterminding the robbery, earning the ire of the younger Antonio, prompting him to kill his father.
The Las Piñas City Police Station said that Nelson voluntarily surrendered to officers of the Parañaque City Police Sub-Station 8 after the shooting and was turned over to the Las Piñas City police. During custodial investigation, he opted to remain silent despite being apprised of his constitutional rights, police records showed.
He was later freed from jail after two Las Piñas City prosecutors dismissed the parricide case filed against him for lack of jurisdiction. In turn, the CIDG-CIDU recommended the filing of charges for obstruction of justice and violation of the anti-graft and corrupt practices act against Las Piñas Assistant Prosecutors Mario Mangrobang and Zelica Longcob and five members of the Las Piñas City Police Station led by Senior Inspector Joel Gomez for their role in the release of the man who confessed to killing his father.
Police have at least three witnesses to the killing—all employees of the victim. One of them, the elder Antonio’s driver-bodyguard, Ricky Sapra, said that the shooting incident took place around 9 a.m. of September 11, 2013. The elder Antonio died while undergoing treatment at the Asian Medical Hospital in Alabang, Muntinlupa City.
Any information regarding the whereabouts of the young Antonio can be coursed thru the telephone numbers (Smart) 0947-3010426 or (Globe) 0906-4940710. The identity of the tipster will be kept in utmost secrecy, the elder Antonio’s friends and supporters said.