LOS ANGELES: Troubled former Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel was formally indicted on domestic violence charges in Texas on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila) following an alleged assault on his ex-girlfriend, according to court records.
The 23-year-old faces a maximum of one year in prison and a $4,000 (3,500 euros) fine if found guilty of the misdemeanor assault charges.
Manziel, a former Heisman Trophy winner who was once regarded as one of the hottest prospects in American football, is alleged to have struck then-partner Colleen Crowley several times during an attack in January.
One of the blows left Crowley with a ruptured ear drum. Manziel is also alleged to have threatened to kill Crowley and himself in a violent altercation which occurred after they left a bar in Dallas.
A lawyer for Manziel, who spent 73 days in rehab last year, said the player would plead not guilty to the charges.
“Johnny will certainly plead ‘not guilty’ and we believe the evidence will support that plea,” attorney Jim Darnell said.
“Out of respect for Ms. (Colleen) Crowley, we will not try the case in the press. We do, however, believe that Johnny will be acquitted at the conclusion of the case.”
The case is the latest grim turn for Manziel, nicknamed “Johnny Football” during his successful college career.
Manziel was cut by the Browns last month after a disappointing 2015 season marked by problems off the field and poor performances on it. He is unlikely to be picked up by any NFL side as a free agent until the conclusion of his domestic violence case.