SUBIC BAY: Senator Ferdinand Marcos Jr. on Thursday claimed that the announcement of Sen. Grace Poe to run for the presidency did not surprise him.
“It was very well expected. Malinaw noon pang nakaraang mga linggo na tatakbo siya bilang Pangulo [As early as last week, it was clear that she’s running for President],” Marcos said.
He noted that the political terrain has become more clear.
“[Poe’s] declaration will help other candidates decide what they will do. We will also be forced to decide,” the Ilocano lawmaker said.
When asked when he will announce his candidacy, Marcos said he has no date yet.
“We will announce it once I have a date, a decision. I will make it known not only to the media but the whole country,” he added.
Marcos said his decision to run and be paired with Vice President Jejomar Binay will not be based on percentage.
“Hindi by percent ang pagde-desisyon. Kung gusto tumakbo, tumakbo. Kapag maayos na mga imponderable variables at malinaw na, mas magiging maliwanag din ang dapat kong gawin [Making a decision should not be based on percentages. If you want to run, go run.
If the imponderable variables are all right and clear, the clearer will be my decision],” he added.
Marcos said the Nacionalista Party to which he belongs has not yet decided on whom to support for President.
“Without a doubt, kahit ano pa mangyari, the NP will be involved in the 2016 elections. Kung walang presidential candidate sa loob ng partido, hahanap ito ng ibang susuportahan kapag maliwanag na sitwasyon [If the party has no candidate for President, it will look for somebody to support if the situation gets clearer],” he added.
Marcos said members of the NP recently met and saw many political alliances and developments as the date of filing of certificates of candidacy in October nears.
“The NP is still in consultation with different groups and will choose the best programs it will support,” he added.