• Marriage without license not valid

    Persida Acosta

    Persida Acosta

    Dear PAO,
    Can my brother obtain a marriage license and get married even if he still has a subsisting marriage? What are the possible repercussions if he decides to pursue this marriage? Please advice.

    Dear Alberto,
    Among the requisites of a valid marriage is a valid marriage license (Article 3 (2), Family Code of the Philippines). As provided under our law, a valid marriage license may only be issued by the local civil registrar of the city or municipality where either of the contracting parties habitually resides upon the presentation of their original birth certificates or, in default thereof, their baptismal certificates or copies of such documents duly attested by the persons having custody of the originals. If one or both of the parties have previously contracted marriage and intend to enter into a subsequent marriage, it is essential for them to present a copy of the death certificate of the deceased spouse, the judicial decree of the absolute divorce, or the judicial decree of annulment or declaration of nullity of his or her previous marriage (Article 13, Ibid.).

    In the situation of your brother, we regret to say that he will not be able to secure a valid marriage license at this point in time considering that he still has a subsisting marriage. Should he really desire to enter into a subsequent marriage, he must file a petition for the dissolution of his marriage before the proper court and once said petition is granted, present before said local civil registrar the judicial decree of annulment or declaration of nullity of his marriage.

    If your brother decides to pursue his marriage without securing a valid marriage license, his marriage will not be considered valid. Apart from that, if he proceeds without having his first marriage dissolved, he can be held criminally responsible for bigamy. Under Article 349 of the Revised Penal Code: “The penalty of prision mayor shall be imposed upon any person who shall contract a second or subsequent marriage before the former marriage has been legally dissolved, or before the absent spouse has been declared presumptively dead by means of a judgment rendered in the proper proceedings.”

    We hope that we were able to answer your queries. Please be reminded that this advice is based solely on the facts you have narrated and our appreciation of the same. Our opinion may vary when other facts are changed or elaborated.

    Editor’s note: Dear PAO is a daily column of the Public Attorney’s Office. Questions for Chief Acosta may be sent to dearpao@manilatimes.net


    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    1 Comment

    1. Rochelle moreno on

      Dear PAO
      I would like to ask ur legal advice regarding my marriage status, i was married to a hungarian man year 2006 we contracted marriage because he wanted to do business here in philippines and he need to marry a filipina so he can freely do business here in philippines..as my part we agreed that he will help me financially, we conduct the marriage in manila city hall but the marriage was registered in san juan manila i am confuse why its like that? 2nd my problem is after the marriage the foreign husband leave the country after marriage is done but after that he did not come back, he visit me to get him a lawyer after 2 yrs i think april 2008 and he left again and that was the end of our contact i never uear anything from him again until now..i want to know if posible the marriage to be void because its more than 7 years now and he never contacted me pls help:( thank u