Dismissed Makati City Mayor Erwin “Junjun” Binay Jr. is set to post bail before the Sandiganbayan on Monday for graft charges filed against him by the Ombudsman.
Binay was formally charged last week by the Office of the Ombudsman before the anti-graft court Sandiganbayan over the allegedlyoverpriced construction of Makati Building 2, a car park.
Claro Certeza, the mayor’s lawyer, over the weekend said he will accompany his client in posting the bail.
The Office of the Ombudsman’s Office of the Special Prosecutor (OSP) last Friday charged Binay with two counts of violation of Section 3 (e) of Republic Act 3019 or the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act and six counts of falsification of public documents as defined under Article 171 of the Revised Penal Code (RPC).
The Office of the Special Prosecutor recommended a bail bond of P30,000 for each count of graft and P24,000 for each count of falsification of public documents for a total of P204,000 for Binay and other respondents.
Certeza welcomed the Ombudsman’s move, saying this will give them opportunity to clear the mayor before a proper forum.
“We can prove to the court that all the accusations against Mayor Binay are not true,” he said.
Certeza, however, questioned the timing of the decision of the Ombudsman.
“The timing is just suspicious since the decision was done while Vice President Jejomar Binay’s ratings [in pre-election surveys]are up again,” he said.
The elder Binay is running for Vice President in the May 9 local and national elections.
Certeza pointed out that they had filed a motion for reconsideration that should have been long resolved by the Ombudsman.
“But they denied our motion only today probably to counteract the current rating position of VP [Vice President] Binay,” he said.
Certeza added that they will also file a motion to require prosecutors to prove that there is probable cause.
Charged with Binay were 20 officials of the Makati City government namely: Marjorie de Veyra, Pio Kenneth Dasal, Lorenza Amores, Virginia Hernandez, Line dela Peña, Mario Badillo, Leonila Querijero, Raydes Pestaño, Nelia Barlis, Cecilio Lim 3rd, Arnel Cadangan, Emerito Magat, Connie Consulta, Ulysses Orienza, Giovanni Condes, Manolito Uyaco, Norman Flores, Gerardo San Gabriel, Eleno Mendoza Jr. and Rodel Nayve.
Also charged were two private individuals, Orlando Mateo from Mana Architecture and Interior Design, Co. (MANA) and Efren Canlas of Hilmarc’s Construction Company (Hilmarc’s).
The mayor and the other respondents allegedly “conspired” in giving unwarranted benefits and preference to MANA and Hilmarc’s by awarding to them contracts for design and construction, respectively, of the P2.28-billion Makati City Hall Building 2.