KOHLER, United States: World number one Rory McIlroy confirmed on Monday (Tuesday in Manila) that he will defend his title in this week’s PGA Championship and says the left ankle he injured is 100 percent ready to play.
The 26-year-old Northern Ireland star suffered ligament damage in the ankle last month while playing football with friends, missing his chance to defend the British Open crown last month at St. Andrews.
McIlroy played practice rounds at Whistling Straits over the weekend to test his ankle and went around nine holes in the rain on Monday.
“To play golf, it’s 100 percent,” McIlroy said. “To go back on a soccer pitch, it wouldn’t be quite ready. But to do what I need to do this week, it’s 100 percent.”
McIlroy will play the first two rounds alongside US Open and Masters winner Jordan Spieth and British Open champion Zach Johnson.
“It felt fine, McIlroy said. “It’s good. I’ve come a long way in five weeks.”