Traffic is expected to be heavy on the entire stretch of EDSA this long weekend as the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) starts its “mega” road reblocking and repair.
Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Traffic Engineering Center Director Neomi Recio said the DPWH’s reblocking works start at 1 a.m. of Oct. 26 until 5 a.m. of Oct. 29.
“We have also decided to allow DPWH to undertake the mega project considering that many are leaving town for Monday’s barangay elections and Undas celebration this year,” she said.
Recio said MMDA constables will be assigned to perennial choke-points along EDSA, which include private bus terminals in Cubao and Balintawak in Quezon City, and in Pasay City.
The MMDA advised motorists to avoid the affected areas and use alternate routes instead.
The areas are the portions of EDSA:
* Between Estanislao Street and C. Jose Street (Northbound), Pasay City.
* Between Kaingin Road and Dario Bridge I (Southbound, 2nd lane), Quezon City.
* Between Gate 4 and Gate 3, (Northbound, 2nd lane), Quezon City.
* Between Ermin Garcia and New York Street (Southbound, 2nd lane), Quezon City.
* Along Araneta Avenue between Palanza Street and Bayani (Northbound), Quezon City.
* Along C.P. Garcia Avenue between Magiting Street and University Avenue (1st lane from sidewalk going to University Avenue), Quezon City.
*Between Reliance Street and Libertad Street (Northbound), Mandaluyong City.
*Between Boni Avenue and Mayon Street (Southbound), Mandaluyong.
*Between McKinley Forbes and Guadalupe Bridge (Southbound, 4th and 5th lane), Makati City.
*Between Guadalupe Bridge and South Drive (Southbound, 4th and 5th lane), Makati City.
*Between Evangelista and Mascardo Street before and after T. Sora Street lane 5 after Malvar Street (lane 5 Northbound), Caloocan City.
RITCHIE A. HORARIO