Milan “El Metodico” Melindo will challenge International Boxing Federation (IBF) world light flyweight champion Javier “Cobra” Mendoza on Sunday at the Camp Nuevo Ensenada in Baja California, Mexico.
The bout is Melindo’s second world title attempt in two years. Trainer Edmund Villamor said that Melindo is 100 percent ready to take on the 24-year-old Mexican southpaw who is undefeated in his last 10 fights.
“Milan needs to dominate the champ every round. We did a lot of sparring since last week, and I believe he can dethrone the Mexican in his own home turf,” Villamor told The Manila Times in a phone interview. “He is very ready to fight.”
Melindo, 27, known for his impressive technical skills and powerful punches lost to Juan Francisco Estrada of Mexico (32-0 win-loss record with 23 knockouts) via unanimous decision in July 2013.
The Cebuano pug was able to make a comeback by winning his last three bouts, including his fight against Saul Juarez via unanimous decision, an IBF title eliminator match, on November in Cebu City.
“He needs to be careful because Mendoza has power punches but I ‘m pretty sure he already knows what to do,” added Villamor. “We are hoping Milan will go home with the title. Milan has shown his dedication during his training.”
Melindo, who holds a 32-1 record with 12 knockouts, held his training camp in Freddie Roach’s Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles, California last month.
Being the current IBF light flyweight No. 1 contender made Melindo the mandatory challenger.
Mendoza scored a second round TKO win against Mexican Mauricio Fuentes in January 10 to retain his belt.