The Manila Electric Co. (Meralco) on Friday said its customers are assured of a 24/7 service on All Saints’ Day (Undas) even as it gave safety pointers especially to those expected to leave their homes and head out of town to cemeteries to pay respects to their departed loved ones.
“For a safe and peaceful observance of Undas, we must be vigilant in ensuring home electrical safety and efficiency measures,” Meralco Public Information Office head Joe Zaldarriaga said, offering the following tips:
• Remember to turn off and unplug appliances before leaving the house. Appliances such as television sets, DVD/Blu Ray players, stereos and other electronic devices consume stand-by power that adds unnecessary costs to electric bills.
• Keep combustible materials away from outdoor lighting and other sources of heat.
• For comfort, convenience and cost efficiency, use rechargeable products in the cemetery. Aside from emergency lamps, rechargeable products now have other features such as fan, radio and USB mobile charger.
• Adjust the thermostat of refrigerators to slightly warmer setting when going on a short trip. For an extended period away from home, turn off and empty the refrigerator, and keep its door open to prevent growth of molds.
For those who plan to stay overnight or extend their visit to the cemeteries, Zaldarriaga offered the following outdoor electrical safety tips:
• Highly recommended are power strips, which are built for outdoor use.
• When laying out power strips, ensure that they are securely installed. Wires should taped in areas where people are walking / crossing, and make sure water from rain and other sources won’t reach the wires.
• Check the capacity of the power strip before connecting appliances to prevent overloading.
Some of his tips when lighting candles:
• Keep candles away from flammable materials like curtains, furniture, books and newspapers.
• Never leave lighted candles unattended. Put burning candles out when you leave the room or any area.
• Make sure candles are on stable surfaces and out of reach of children or pets.
• Do not burn several candles close together as this might cause the flame to flare.
Zaldarriaga said Meralco personnel will be available to respond to any contingency or unexpected power interruptions.
One Meralco Foundation (OMF), the company’s social responsibility arm, is also partnering with Rescue5 (TV5’s Emergency Response Unit) for the Aksyon sa Undas 2016 to provide assistance in cemeteries.
The OMF has set up free electronic device charging stations at the Manila North Cemetery and Manila South Cemetery from October 31 to November 1, 2016.