Vice President Jejomar Binay is bracing for more attacks that he believes will continue well into the campaign period for the 2016 presidential elections.
On Thursday, the Vice President said his camp received information that the real purpose of former Makati City Vice Mayor Ernesto Mercado’s trip to the United States is to fabricate documents to be used in the conspiracy to defame him.
“Ayon sa bali-balita namin e gagawa ng kung anong dokumento. Itong darating na mga araw hanggang sa panahon ng pagkakampanya, e magbibintang dito, bintang roon, kahit na alam naman po nilang kasinungalingan,” Binay said in a radio interview.
The vice president said his detractors will intensify their campaign to damage his image as the elections near.
“Pagdating ng oras, sasabihin, ‘Hala! Ito po ang imahe ni Vice President. Kaso rito, kaso r’yan. Pero ‘yun ay mga bintang na walang batayan at kasinungalingan. So ‘yun ang part of conspiracy. Kita mo, of late, kung ano-anong unit dito, unit doon. eh ‘yan, napapakita naman na walang katotohanan,” he added.
Binay said Justice Secretary Leila de Lima should be asked about the real destination of Mercado since she was the one who approved the trip.
De Lima has been mum on the call of United Nationalist Alliance (UNA) interim president Rep. Tobias Tiangco of Navotas to confirm Mercado’s reported US trip because his “secret” departure has raised so much speculations.
Tiangco earlier said the reluctance of government agencies like the Bureau of Immigration to confirm Mercado’s departure substantiates doubts that his trip to the US may be part of the conspiracy to ruin Binay’s chances in the upcoming election.
Binay admitted that he was affected by the allegations hurled against him but he had already moved on because the people he met in his provincial sorties have told him they do not believe his accusers.