• Mexican castaway begins long journey home


    MAJURO, Marshall Islands: A Mexican castaway who says he survived more than a year drifting at sea pleaded on Sunday to be taken home as he was picked up from the remote Pacific island where he had washed ashore.

    “I want to get back to Mexico,” the castaway, who identified himself as Jose Ivan, told interpreter Magui Vaca as he was about to board a Marshall Islands patrol vessel to be taken from Ebon Atoll to the capital Majuro for a medical examination.

    “I feel bad,” he told Vaca of his physical and mental state. “I am so far away. I don’t know where I am or what happened.”

    An emaciated Jose Ivan was found on Thursday clad only in ragged underpants, when his 24-foot fiberglass boat with propellerless engines floated on to the reef at Ebon Atoll, the southernmost cluster of coral islands in the Marshalls.

    He managed to communicate to his rescuers that he had drifted across a 12,500 kilometer (8,000 mile) expanse of Pacific Ocean north of the equator between southern Mexico and the Marshall Islands.

    Jose Ivan told Vaca he left his home in Mexico to go shark fishing on December 24, 2012, putting his time at sea at 13 months, not the 16 months his rescuers initially believed.

    “It’s been difficult trying to communicate with him,” said Ebon Mayor Ione deBrum who had only been able to communicate with the Mexican by drawing pictures.

    “I’ve gotten to know him through pictures he’s drawing. He said he was on his way to El Salvador by boat when it started drifting.”

    No details have yet emerged as to why he began drifting, or what happened to a companion he said had died a few months ago.

    Vaca said Ivan was disorientated and did not know what had happened during his many months at sea.

    “He feels a little desperate and he wants to get back to Mexico, but he doesn’t know how,” she said.

    When Ebon islanders discovered Ivan on their remote atoll he was sporting a long beard and was unable to walk without assistance.

    He indicated that he survived by eating turtles, birds and fish and drinking turtle blood when there was no rain.

    There was no fishing gear on the boat and Jose Ivan suggested he caught turtles and birds with his bare hands. There was a turtle on the boat when it landed at Ebon.

    “We’ve been feeding him nutritious island food and he’s getting better,” deBrum said. “He has pain in both knees so he cannot stand up by himself. Otherwise, he’s OK.”



    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    Comments are closed.