The crackdown against “colorum” or out-of-line buses and other public transport will not stop until all of them are taken off Metro Manila’s roads.
The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) on Sunday said the campaign, dubbed Oplan Goliath, will stay in effect until February next year.
Oplan Goliath was launched last week by the MMDA and Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB).
MMDA Chairman Francis Tolentino said on Sunday the intensified drive against colorums will help ease congestion in major roads, particularly the Epifanio de los Santos Avenue (EDSA).
MMDA Assistant General Manager for Operations Emerson Carlos said the campaign has netted 52 public transport.
“We apprehended 37 on the first day and it reached 52 last Friday,” Carlos said.
He added that majority of the apprehended vehicles were buses.
Offenders are fined P6,000 and the driver’s license suspended for three to five months.
Successive offenses will result in bigger fines and the revocation of the driver’s license.
Carlos said to that to catch the operators and drivers of colorums by surprise, the joint MMDA-LTFRB team will be informed only an hour before where they will conduct will be patrolling. That way no advance information leaks out.
The MMDA and LTFRB launched Oplan Goliath after the city government of Manila implemented a ban on buses that have no existing terminals in the city.
RITCHIE A. HORARIO