MMDA seeks more coaches, longer hours for MRT, LRT
Anticipating the monstrous traffic jams from the simultaneous construction of the major road projects, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) sees a shift on the mode of public transport.
MMDA Traffic Engineering Center (TEC) Director Neomi Recio said that commuters, who usually ride buses and jeepneys might shift to the railway systems because of the heavy traffic.
However, Recio expressed fear that the Light Railway System (LRT) and the Metro Railway System (MRT), might not be capable of accommodating more passengers.
“Definitely, more commuters will now use the MRT and LRT. Our only problem is that the capacity of the existing coaches, they might not able to cope with the influx of additional passengers,” she said.
Because of this, the MMDA urged the Department of Transportation and Communication (DOTC) to increase the number of coaches and if possible, extend the operating hours of the railway systems.
The DOTC’s plan to purchase additional MRT coaches has been temporarily stopped by a Makati court after it was questioned by the Metro Railway Transit Corp. (MRTC), the owner of MRT Line 3.
MMDA Chairman Francis Tolentino said the travel speed will definitely reduced once the construction of Skyway Stage 3 starts at 10 p.m. on Monday.
During the construction of Skyway Stage 3, two lanes (Southbound) of the Osmeña highway will be closed.
“If we close two lanes of the Osmeña highway, the travel speed will be reduced to 10 to 19 km per hour from the current 30 to 39 km per hour,” he said.
At the same time, Tolentino said the MMDA has proposed alternate routes for private vehicles during the Skyway project advance works.
* Along President Quirino Avenue, turn left at Roxas Boulevard, right at Senator Gil Puyat Avenue, left at Macapagal Boulevard to point of destination
* Along President Quirino Avenue, turn left A. Mabini, straignt to F.B. Harrison, right at EDSA, to point of destination
* Along President Quirino Avenue, left at Leon Guinto, straight to P. Zamora to destination
* Along Pedro, turn right on Tejeron, right at Don Chino Roces Avenue to point of destination
* Along Pedro Gil, turn right at Onyx, left at Zobel Roxas, right at Kalayaan Avenue, right at Don Chino Roces Avenue to destination
The Skyway 3 will connect the North Luzon and South Luzon Expressways with an elevated highway over Osmeña Highway.
The project is expected to last at least two years.