Thus declared Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) chairman Emerson Carlos on the impending investigation the Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF) is facing on the disqualification of a film entry and other issues.
“We are not afraid,” MMDA chairman Emerson Carlos, who is also the concurrent head of the Executive Committee of the MMFF, said on Thursday.
Carlos issued the statement as Congress is poised to investigate the disqualification of the film “Honor Thy Father” from the selection of the best picture category.
Laguna Rep. Dan Fernandez filed a resolution directing the committee on Metro Manila Development to conduct an inquiry on the controversy.
Fernandez was one of the actors in the film top billed and co-produced by actor John Lloyd Cruz and directed by Erik Matti.
Carlos said they are ready to face “any investigation to be conducted by anybody or any institution.”
He also brushed aside allegations by the producers of the movie saying that all the awardees were deserving.
“We stand firm on the decisions made for the MMFF in the awards night,” Carlos said.
In supporting the Execom’s decision, Carlos explained ‘Honor Thy Father’ was disqualified because it was already shown in other film festivals, a violation of MMFF rules.
“This is not a decision of one single person alone, but of a collegial body, the MMFF Execom,” he added.
In a letter to the film’s producer, Ronald Stephen Monteverde, Carlos said the film was disqualified “due to your non-disclosure of your participation to the Cinema One Originals Film Festival as the opening film and after careful and thorough deliberation.”
“Honor Thy Father” was a late entry to the annual film festival after a slot became available following the pull-out of an official entry in October.
In his resolution, Fernandez said “Honor Thy Father” was the opening feature to the Cinema One Originals Film Festival 2015.
He noted that Monteverde had earlier committed to the Cinema One invitation prior to receiving and accepting the MMFF offer to a slot.