Mumbai building collapse toll reaches 33

0

MUMBAI: The death toll from the collapse of a five-storey apartment block in India’s financial hub Mumbai rose to at least 33, a senior official at the rescue site told Agence France-Presse on Saturday.

Alok Avasthy of the National Disaster Management Authority said 33 bodies had been pulled from the wreckage.

Local officials said 22 families had been housed in the block owned by the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mum-bai in the city’s eastern suburbs.

“We have hospitalized 34 people” and “more (bodies) are buried in the rubble” Mumbai deputy police commissioner Tanaji Ghadge told Agence France-Presse by telephone from the site.


The residential block collapsed at dawn Friday—marking the latest building disaster to hit the city and surrounding area.

By Friday night, rescue workers had managed to pull out nearly 50 survivors from the debris of the flattened block.

AFP

Share.
.
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

Comments are closed.