SEOUL: The North Korean Red Cross has agreed to working-level talks with its South Korean counterpart early next month on arranging a reunion of families separated by the 1950-53 Korean War, officials said Saturday.
The initiative follows an inter-Korean agreement reached earlier this week that committed both sides to organize a reunion sometime around the Chuseok harvest festival holiday, which falls on September 27.
An official from the South’s Unification Ministry said the North had accepted the Seoul’s proposal for initial talks on September 7 at the border truce village of Panmunjom.
The last family reunion was held at a North Korean mountain resort in February 2014, and was the first such event for more than three years.
Millions of people were separated during the 1950-53 conflict that sealed the division between the two Koreas.
Most died without having a chance to see or hear from their families on the other side of the border, across which all civilian communication is banned.