PARIS: Rafael Nadal will follow a course of antibiotics for a period of four to five days before he decides whether or not to undergo an appendectomy, the Spanish star’s spokesman said.
The world number two returned home to Mallorca on Thursday (Friday in Manila) following his second round loss to compatriot Feliciano Lopez at the Shanghai Masters, stopping in Barcelona on the way to undertake medical tests.
Those examinations confirmed that the 28-year-old is suffering from an inflamed appendix which he hopes can be treated with antibiotics.
“His clinical progress is good. He isn’t showing any symptoms at the moment,” said his spokesman in a statement.
“He will continue the antibiotics treatment for 4-5 days and, depending on his progress, he will take the necessary decisions.”
Nadal only made his comeback from a wrist injury in Beijing last week after not having played since a fourth round exit at Wimbledon.
If he avoids surgery on his appendix, the nine-time French Open champion will hope to complete the 2014 season at the Swiss Indoors event, Paris Masters and then the World Tour Finals in London.